Chapter 17 Morning Fun

Watersplash gazed warmly down at her new kin, happiness prickling her pelt. Shadowfire and Willowwhisper nuzzled each other and purred, their kits mewling softly. It's a good thing Willowwhisper got over her cold quickly..... Watersplash thought.

          Midnightmoon entered the den, her worried face changing to relief as she saw the kits. "Alright you two," Midnightmoon purred to Fogmask and Watersplash, "stop gawking and go get some water for Willowwhisper."

          Watersplash nodded and whisked out of the den, Fogmask behind her. Watersplash smiled for the first time in what seemed like moons.

          "Willowwhisper's kits are really beautiful," Fogmask purred. Watersplash gave him a purr. "Ya, they definitely are! And Splashkit looked like one little fighter!" she added.

          They came upon a large oak covered in moss, Watersplash gave a sniff and smelled the dampness of the morning. She touched a paw to the tree, feeling the dew. "Not quite wet enough," she mumbled.

           Fogmask flicked his ears in agreement and scooped up a bundle of moss. But instead of putting it in his mouth, he tucked it under his chin.

          The sight was so weird Watersplash burst out laughing, dropping her moss on the ground. "What?" Fogmask asked, baffled, his voice muffled. "You look like a furry frog!" Watersplash laughed.

           The tom stopped for a moment and cocked his head, as if imagining how he looked. Then he embarrassedly shook the moss out of his fur.  

          Watersplash was still chuckling when a bundle of moss hit her square in the face. She looked at Fogmask, astonished. He started to chuckled. "In your face!" he laughed.

          "Oh ya?" Watersplash laughed. She grabbed more of the moss and flung at him, then dashed off towards the lake, Fogmask looking dazed, then chasing after her with a purr.

         She skidded to a stop at the lakebed, pebbles rattling under her paws. Fogmask came barreling down the hill, but as he neared the lakeshore, he tripped and summersaulted into the water.

          He popped up, his gray fur soaked and plastered to his body. Fogmask drug himself up to the shore and collapsed, giving Watersplash a  cheesy smile. She stared open-mouth, then started laughing.

          Fogmask brushed the fur out of his eyes and smiled. When Watersplash finally paused for breath, she mewed, "After that, maybe your name should be Watersplash!"

          "Pshh! I totally meant to do that...." Fogmask muttered.

         "Mhmm," mewed Watersplash skeptically.

           "You know what else I meant to do?" Fogmask said. Watersplash looked at him curiously. "This!" he yowled as he scooped out water with his paw and flung it at the she-cat. Watersplash gave him a startled screech and gave him a push, unbalancing him. Fogmask flailed his paws, trying to regain his balance, but instead fell into the water.

          Watersplash laughed and dove into the water, resurfacing beside him and splashing him in the face. "Hey!" he yowled. "You started it!" she retorted, diving beneath before he could splash her back.

          Finally they crawled back onto the shore and plopped down, breathing heavily but laughing at the same time. "Maybe you're more fish than cat!" Fogmask mewed to her. She purred and flicked him with her tail, then stood.

          She shook out her fur, splattering Fogmask with water droplets. "Hey!" he mewed. She flashed a mocking smile and prodded him with a paw. "Come on mousebrain!" she chuckled. He stood, rolling his eyes.

          Watersplash bounded through the forest, laughing as Fogmask tried to keep up with his sodden fur. She rounded the corner to the tree, still laughing. Her laugh caught off abruptly as she saw what was ahead of her. She let out a screech and skidded her paws, stopping a mouse length away from five Deathclan warriors.

          "Um...... hi?" she asked sheepishly. The Deathclan warriors gave low growls, and stalked toward her, claws clicking.

           "Oh foxdung....." 

Sorry for the short chapter... been having a bit of writer's block lately.