Chapter 5 The Gathering

Watersplash sat in the medicine cat den, her paws itching with boredom. It was five sunrises later from when she and Willowwhisper had joined Rustclan. Beyrlstar had given both of them "mentors" to help them touch up on their skills. Willowwhisper's was Shadowfire(sooo predictable!), and Watersplash's was Fogmask, a gray tom with smoky colored stripes.  Two days ago Watersplash had driven a thorn deep into her pad chasing after a squirrel with Snowfrost, one of her best friends in the clan, which was why she was in the medicine cat den right now. She honestly felt fine but Whispersong said she needed to keep her weight off her paws. And if the medicine cat tells you to do something, you better do it!

          Just when Watersplash felt like she was about to die from boredom, Fogmask came through the medicine cat den entrance, carrying a mouse. Watersplash looked at him in surprise, wondering why he was here. "Hey," he said. "Hi," Watersplash answered back. "I brought a mouse for you," he said nervously. Watersplash purred. "Thanks," she said as Fogmask set down the mouse. "Want to share?" Watersplash asked. Fogmask nodded. After they had finished the mouse, the two sat there talking about the day. Fogmask looked at Watersplash's still healing wounds and mewed jokingly, "You must be quite a warrior."   Watersplash purred. "More like cats keep ambushing me!" she mewed. "You must be so popular!" Fogmask mewed back. The two burst out laughing. "What was it like, being a rogue?" Fogmask asked her. Watersplash was surprised. Not many clan cats really cared about that kind of stuff. "Well... it's definitely not like clan life," she started. "First of all, there's no medicine cat to help if you get sick, or cats to hunt for you if you're too young or too old. That's why all rogues have to learn that stuff pretty early on," Watersplash said. "And you never really meet any other cats, unless you're trying to rip each other's fur off," Watersplash mewed purring. Fogmask broke off and looked at her with some strange emotion. "Well, I'm glad you came to Rustclan," he meowed. "Me too," Watersplash answered simply. Fogmask was about to say something else, but then Whispersong padded into the main den area. She looked at Fogmask and said, "You wouldn't be disturbing my patient now would you?" Fogmask looked bashful, and Watersplash swore she felt herself blush. Fogmask stood up. "Nice talking to you," he said to Watersplash. "You too," she answered. She liked talking to Fogmask. He gave her a weird feeling whenever he was around....   "Don't forget to try to come to the gathering tonight!" Fogmask mewed as Whispersong hastily pushed him out of the den. The gathering! That's right! Tonight would be the full moon, when all the clans gathered on an island to share news under a truce. Watersplash looked at Whispersong. "Pleeeaaasseee, can I go?" she begged. Whispersong rolled her eyes. "Warriors!" she huffed. She quickly checked Watersplash's paw and said, "Alright, you can ask Beyrlstar if you can go." "Yes! Thanks Whispersong!" Watersplash said as she rushed to her feet and bounded out toward Beyrlstar. "Make sure to keep your weight off that paw!" Whispersong yowled after her. "I'm not that fat!" Watersplash yowled back. Whispersong twitched her whiskers in amusement and walked back into the medicine cat den.

          Watersplash bounded over to Beyrlstar who was talking with some of the senior warriors. As Watersplash approached, he flicked his tail and the warriors padded away. "What is it, Watersplash?" he asked. "And shouldn't you be in the medicine cat den?" he asked.   "I was wondering if I could come to tonight's gathering," Watersplash said. Beyrlstar looked doubtful, so she kept speaking. 'Whispersong says my paw is fine, I just need to not strain it that much," Watersplash mewed, hoping he would let her com. Beyrlstar nodded. "You may come to the gathering," said Beyrlstar as he leaped upon the Highrock. Watersplash nodded.  "Let all cats who can catch their own prey gather here beneath the Highrock!" Beyrlstar called out. Slowly all the cats began to trickle out of their dens. Watersplash spotted Willowwhisper and Snowfrost sitting together, and she ran over to them. "Hey guys!" Watersplash mewed as she bounded over excitedly. Willowwhisper got  up and nuzzled her sister, purring. "Your pad's all better!" Snowfrost meowed excitedly. "Ya!" Watersplash answered. Suddenly both Willowwhisper and Snowfrost started shooting out questions.

"So are you coming to the Gathering?"

"How's your pad?"

"Was it boring in the medicine cat den?"

"Whispersong wouldn't let us visit you, were you ok?"

"And how did Fogmask go in, and what were you guys talking about?"

          Both Snowfrost and Willowwhisper asked the same last question at the same time. Watersplash held up her paw to stop the flood of questions. It felt like her head was spinning. "Give me a minute," Watersplash said as she thought about all the questions. Then she answered,

          "Yes I'm coming to the gathering, my paw's all healed, it was SO boring in the medicine cat den, I was fine, and Fogmask and I just talked...." Watersplash answered. At the last answer, both Snowfrost and Willowwhisper looked at her with arched eyebrows. "What!? We're just friends!" Watersplash protested. Thankfully, it was time for the meeting Beyrlstar had called to start.  "I've decided who's coming to the gathering," he called out. "Me, Pumatooth, Whispersong, Whiteorb, Fogmask, Rainclaw and Nightpaw, Echofire, Blackshadow and Rockpaw, Snowfrost, Willowwhisper, and Watersplash."  As he finished calling names, he and Pumatooth started walking out of camp, with the chosen cats following suit. "Tell me how it goes," Shadowfire purred to Willowwhisper, giving her ear a friendly lick. "Of course!" Willowwhisper answered as she bounded up to Snowfrost and Watersplash. "And you say Fogmask and I have something!" Watersplash huffed to her sister. Snowfrost giggled, watching the two sisters. Fogmask called out to the three she-cats, saying, "Come on! You guys don't want to be left behind!" All three friends raced to the others and picked up the steady pace. Willowwhisper nudged Watersplash and said, "I can't believe it! Our first gathering!" Watersplash nodded, so excited she felt she could run all the way there without breaking a sweat.  

Chapter 5 done! It's just a normal gathering right? Or is it? And also, I would REALLY appreciate comments and votes.(if u have an account) And if you guys have a new book that's just not getting lots of reads, tell me and I'll zip over and read it! That's all for now, I'll be back writing Chapter 6-7 in about 4 days since I'm going on a short vacation. Peace out till then!