Chapter 4 Rustclan

Then next morning, Water awoke slowly, carefully stretching out her paws, mindful of her wounds. She sighed. "I need to stop getting beaten up," she said as she licked her matted chest fur. Beside her, Willow purred. She and Shadowfire were standing together, ready to go. "Here," said Shadowfire as he pushed a packet of herbs toward her. Water sniffed them and recognized them as traveling herbs. She ate them quickly, ignoring the sour taste. She looked to Willow and Shadowfire and mewed," So how long will it take to get there?" Shadowfire blinked his amber eyes and answered, "If we go now and don't stop, we should get there by nightfall." Willow nodded. "We better get going then," Willow said. Shadowfire whisked out of the den entrance, and Water and Willow followed close behind. They picked up a formation, Shadowfire in the middle, and Willow and Water on either side. They walked in silence for a while, and then Shadowfire spoke. "Since we're going to be traveling a while.... would you two mind telling me why Bloodclan was after you?" he asked. Water tensed up, her fur starting to bristle. She glanced at Willow, her eyes asking permission to tell their tale. Willow nodded, then said, "It's fine Water. You can tell him." Water sighed and took a deep breath. This would take a while. "It all started when we were kits," she began. "You wouldn't believe it now, but Willow and I were born in Bloodclan," Water continued. Shadowfire's eyes widened in shock, but he said nothing. "Our father is Blood, ruler of Bloodclan, and our mother was Frost," Water said, swallowing the pain. "You say our mother was. Did something happen to her?" Shadowfire asked. "She was killed," Willow muttered. "Our father started our training when we were four moons. One night, Blood abandoned us in the rain, beaten and bruised, to find our own way home. When Frost found out that night, she got angry and she and Blood had an argument. Blood ended up killing her," Water said. She broke up, tears starting to form in her eyes. She shrugged them off and continued her story.  "What Blood didn't know was that we had found our way home quicker than he would've imagined. We got there just in time to see him kill Frost. After that, we ran away. When Blood found out, he sent search parties out... but not to find us. To kill us, and bring our bodies back to him. He's been searching for us ever since... and last night was the first patrol that actually found us," Water stopped now, thankful she was done. She didn't really want to talk about this anymore. She could tell Willow didn't want to either. For many seconds Shadowfire stayed speechless. Water really hoped she hadn't ruined his and Willow's relationship by telling him their secret. But then he spoke. " Well, you two will be safe when we get to Rustclan, my clan. There Blood wont find you ever again," he said sympathetically to both of them. Water breathed a sigh of relief. Just as Shadowfire had said, they'd be fine once they reached his clan.

                                                                * * * * *

          Meanwhile.....    In a dark clearing, a massive black tom sat upon a large pile of bones. There were bones of prey, dogs, and....cats. The tom was staring into the distance when four cats padded up to the base of the bone-hill. They dipped their head in respect to the huge tom as he jumped down from the pile to greet them. "Well? Jay, was your mission successful?" the tom asked. As he saw their ears flatten, he snarled. He spoke before the lead gray tom, Jay, could answer. "No. I see you did not complete your mission," the tom snarled. Jay lifted his head. "Blood we-" Jay started to explain, but Blood cut him off. "How hard is it to kill a young she-cat?" Blood snarled. The black she-cat answered him. "It would've been easy, sir, except that before Jay could do the finishing blow, two cats intervened," she said. Blood snorted. "Only two Shard? Come on, I know your better than that!" he hissed to all the cats. The other tom then spoke. "One of them was a clan cat, Blood," he mewed. Blood's eyes narrowed and he growled. "Seems like my daughters succeeded in finding them after all," he mewed. "Claw, Shard, Tawn, you're dismissed. Go skulk off to your stinking dens," Blood snarled. The three bowed their heads and walked off, Tawn muttering. "And you, Jay," Blood turned his attention to his deputy. "I expected more of you," Blood snarled, circling Jay. "But Blood!" Jay mewed in defiance. Blood unsheathed his claws, and swiped a hug line over Jay's face. "Never defy me! If I say you're wrong, then you're wrong!" Blood stopped in front of Jay, who was breathing hard as blood dripped down his face. "And never, fail me again," Blood snarled to Jay. Jay nodded and Blood flicked his ear, signaling him to go. Blood turned and leaped back onto the bone-hill. "I will find you my daughters. No matter where you hind, no matter who you hide behind, I will find you and destroy you and anything or anyone who stands with you," Blood snarled to the sky.

                                                                * * * * *

          Back with the traveling cats, the sun was just dipping into the sky. Just when Water thought her paws couldn't support her any longer, Shadowfire led them into a large clearing. In front of them was a circle with dens covering the perimeter, and in the center, a large rock, which Water assumed was the Highrock, was placed. On top of it stood a large brown tom. Circled around the rock were cats of all shapes and sizes. Warriors and apprentices, and the deputy siting at the edge of the Highrock. Heads popped out of various dens. Water caught the scent of herbs and turned to see a white she-cat come out of a large rock den. That must be their medicine cat, Water thought. She heard a tiny little mew and saw a little blue kit come up to her and sniff Water's tail. Water purred in amusement. "Who are you?" the little kit asked curiously. "I'm-" Water started to introduce herself, but just then a dark gray she-cat hustled up to the kit and picked her up by the scruff. She bounded back to the nursery and started to scold the kit, while the warriors watched Water and Willow warily. Water was beginning to feel uncomfortable with all the stares, when the leader spoke. "Shadowfire, you have some questions to answer," the leader mewed. Shadowfire dipped his head and walked up to the base of the Highrock, beckoning Willow and Water to come as well. The sisters padded up to the Highrock, conscious of all the glaring looks. Willow shuffled her paws nervously but kept her head raised high. Water knew she had to seem confident, so she raised her head proudly too and looked at the leader. Shadowfire spoke, not just to the leader, but to all the cats around them. "Beyrlstar, this is Willow and Water," Shadowfire gestured with his tail to the two sisters as he said their names, "When I went out on the patrol, I met Willow and told her what I was doing. Willow told me her sister, Water, was out collecting herbs in the main Bloodclan sighted area. We followed her scent trail and found her battling four Bloodclan warriors." At this, a collective gasp went up from the surrounding cats. Beyrlstar flicked his tail for Shadowfire to continue. "We fought them off, and gave Water some herbs to stop the wounds from bleeding. We stayed in a cave for one night and then we journeyed here," Shadowfire finished. Beyrlstar nodded in understanding. "I am glad you helped these cats, but why did you bring them here?" Beyrlstar asked. Before Shadowfire could answer, Water piped up. "Because we wish to join Rustclan," she said strongly. Most of the cats murmured disapprovingly, but then Willow spoke. "Our mother taught all about the clans and how they live. All we need to do is touch up on our hunting and fighting skills," Willow meowed. Water blinked at her sister in gratitude. Beyrlstar turned once again to Shadowfire. "These cats know the warrior code?" Beyrlstar asked him. Shadowfire nodded. "As well as if they were born to it," he answered. A few disapproving mutters still sounded, but now most of the cats remained silent. Please, please, please say yes, Water prayed with all her might. After a few seconds, Beyrlstar bowed his head. "They may join Rustclan," he said simply. Water felt joy spread throughout her and her paws itched in excitement. "But they can't join Rustclan! They're loners! They don't even have warrior names!" A black tom yowled, and the gray one beside him nodded in agreement. Water's joy dropped like a stone. "Well then, Blackshadow, Ashclaw, we'll resolve that right now," Beyrlstar said calmly. No! We were so close! Water screamed silently. Blackshadow and Ashclaw looked smug. Shadowfire was about to protest when Beyrlstar continued. "We will give Willow and Water warrior names," he mewed. Blackshadow and Ashclaw's mouths hung open in shock, but the rest of the clan cheered. Willow let out a sigh of relief and Water definitely agreed with her. Beyrlstar looked to the sky and began the ceremony. "I, Beyrlstar, leader of Rustclan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these two cats. They have journeyed hard to reach us and trained as hard as any apprentice to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as warriors in their turn," Beyrlstar glanced at Willow and Water, and Water felt like she was about to burst. "Willow and Water, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this clan, even at the cost of your life?" Beyrlstar asked. Willow answered immediately, "I do," Water felt an ancient feeling rise up in her as she spoke. "I do," Water mewed clearly. "Then by the power of Starclan I give you your warrior names. Willow, from this moment you shall be known as Willowwhisper. Starclan honors your persistence and strength," Beyrlstar finished and moved on to Water. "Water, you shall be known as Watersplash. Starclan honors you faith and you skills." Beyrlstar jumped down from the Highrock and touched his muzzled first to Willowwhisper's head, and then to Watersplash's as if naming a new apprentice. "Willowwhisper! Watersplash! Willowwhisper! Watersplash!" the clan called loudly. Water felt her heart burst in pride. She was a warrior at last!