Betrothed!?

Cannon said nothing, frozen by the icy feeling of dread as it spread through his body. Betrothed? No. She can’t be. She’s his.

Cannon let out a low growl, his face twisting into a vicious snarl. Fuck.That. 

“Who is he!?” Cannon barked, his hands clenching into tight fists. Jaylynn flinched at his tone. She looked down, avoiding his gaze that was hot with anger.

“Wait. Betrothed or engaged?” Luben suddenly asked. Everyone looked at him, puzzled.

“What’s it matter?” Cannon growled, gritting his teeth. His body had a slight tremble as he tried to control his beast that was snarling and clawing to get free. To take Jaylynn here on the floor in front of everyone and show who exactly she belonged to. To posses her. Put his mark on her and claim her as his mate.

“Because, there’s a big difference!” Luben drawled. The group exchanged looks with each other.

“There is?” They chorused incredulously.

Luben looked around at everyone’s faces. Taking in all of the confused expressions, he sighed.

“Yes.” He said in irritation. “Don’t you know that’s a dead practice?”

They all gave him blank stares.

Luben sighed, grumbling something to himself.

“So uh..what’s the difference?” Jaxison asked curiously. Luben heaved a big sigh again before he turned his gaze to Jaylynn.

“The difference is,” Luben said, drawing out the ‘is’ “Being betrothed means it was already planned with Jaylynn having no say in the matter.” Luben looked at Jaylynn for confirmation. When she gave a slight, hesitant nod he continued. “Being engaged means that someone asked her to marry them and she accepted.” Luben said slowly, as if he was talking to a toddler.

Everyone blinked dumbly at Luben.  Then realization dawned on them, and their mouths formed an ‘o’ shape.

Jaxison still looked at Luben in amazed shock. “When the hell did you become smart?” Luben glowered at him.

Cannon looked at Jaylynn, hope lighting his eyes, relief overcoming him. If what Luben was said was true, then he still had a chance. This was something he could work with. There’s no way in hell he was going to let someone else try and to take her away from him. Not after he just found her.

 Jaylynn’s gaze was still drawn to Luben seeming to be in shock.

“How old are you?” Luben asked her abruptly. Jaylynn’s eyes widen in surprise, not expecting the question. Then she blushed, breaking eye contact and staring down at her hands.

She mumbled something. Cannon’s furrowed his brows, looking over to Luben to see if he caught that. He didn’t so he asked again. “Pardon?”

Jaylynn mumbled something unintelligible causing everyone to learn forward to hear her. Even with their super hearing they couldn’t understand her.

“What?”

“17!” She burst out, her face the color of a tomato. Everyone drew back in shock. Say WHAT!?

Jaxison shot an amused look at Cannon, snickering. “Way to be a cradle robber!”

“Shut up Jaxison!” The grouped yelled at him. Jaylynn settling on a glare, her face still flushed.  Jaxison threw up his hands. “What!?” He exclaimed. “It’s true!”

Cannon didn’t say anything, just stared at Jaylynn in bewilderment. There’s no way that’s possible. Sure, she looked young but that young?