Chapter 24

Chapter 24

I was not ready for this.

My heart was hammering in my chest as I stepped out of the house, I lifted my face to the sky and felt the gentle swaying of the wind against my skin as the hem of my dress brushed against my legs. There was no turning back now. "Hey. Are you ready?" Jake asked, his jacket drooping in between the crook of his arm. He blandly shut the front door and it clicked, assuring that the house was safe. I hesitantly lifted my eyes to his, Jake's lips curved downward into a frown as he stared at the Pack house, his carmel hair flickered against the moonlight. Dark shadows cascaded down his face as the stars twinkled above us. "c'mon." Jake said softly, his hand lacing with mine, I could feel his thumb numbly rubbing the outer part of my hand. Trying to sooth the tension between us, but this was not the boy I had grown up knowing, not the little boy that had lost his father. Jake was not a boy at all but a man, and I could see the faint stubble brushing against his once boyish features. His face was twisted into a grim frown as he clenched and unclenched his jaw. My eyes widened as I scanned his face, and the realization finally hit me, Jake had never been the same ever since his father left. I was always to young to notice his heart altering, shifting from warm to stone.

We trudged across the pavment, the Pack house slowly advancing with each step. I couldn't help but suck in a shaky breath as the blood rushed to my ears. I could feel my palms growing sweaty, but Jake stopped midway from the wooden door. I could see the intricate carvings of a wolf, so I nervously used my free hand to trace the jagged edges of the worn door. I could feel the unpolished wood below my finger tips as it traced the mesmerizing glare of the wolf. My father would always bring me here as a child, and I remember always staring up at the wolf, wondering if it ever felt alone in this empty world. "You ready?" Jake's withering voice questioned, his faint breath seen in the chilly autumn night. I swallowed the lump in my throat as I turned to face Jake, with a simple nod we proceeded onward, I could feel my stomach drop as we enter into the tightly packed room. The smell of sweaty bodies lingered throught the room as chattering conversations swirled together to form a distinct noise. We slowly entered through the wooden doors of the Pack house.

You could hear the babbling of the pack as each conversation melted to form one whole noise. The clustered group of wolves together, the smell of the shaded forest mixing with the bodies packed into a tight room. Everything silenced as we strode through the door, all eyes were focused apon us and only the sharp slam of the door echoed throught the room. The pack memebers bowed their head with respect as they sqeezed together to form a path for Jake to stride along. Jake pulled me toward the front of the room, and my nose twitched as an unfamiliar smell drifted through the air. "Welcome Midnight pack." I froze has the words seemed to diminish into thin air. There was only one meaning behind that, Jake wanted to see the pain on Haden's face as he basked in the sick glory of winning. I found myself scanning the faces in the crowd, searching for that one face that could tear me down as much as it brought me up.