Chapter 26 | part 3

Akitu went on around her as if nothing had happened. As though all she thought she had achieved in the past year hadn't just been torn down around her ears.

The following day, Samsu made no reference to anything he had said or done. Statues of gods arrived by boat from all over the empire to accompany that of Marduk's son, Nabu, in his mission to free his father.

Eliana did not fully understand it, but the tradition went that Marduk had been imprisoned by evil gods, led by Tiamat, after renewing his favour upon Babylon, and awaited rescue by his son and an alliance of other brave gods.

She was forced to walk with Samsu back to Esagila at the head of a huge procession of citizens, carrying the statues of the gods, led by Nabu, and chanting, 'here's he who comes from afar to restore the glory of our imprisoned father!'

People stared at her as she passed, her two black eyes shining like beacons, the bruising purpled and swollen. She cringed with the shame of it – to have to appear in public in this state. The people would be in no doubt as to who had caused the damage; they would certainly be wondering what she had done to provoke him to it. The markets would be full of slanderous gossip before sunset.

And this was only the sixth day – Akitu was only half complete.

On the seventh day, a mock-battle took place at the gates of Esagila, which the king and queen were required to attend. Inside the temple complex, the evil gods swirled and chanted as they protected their precious quarry – the high priest, once again in the guise of Marduk, fought them tirelessly. He was surprisingly nimble for an old man, Eliana thought. Outside the barred gates, the hero gods worked to batter their way inside.

The gates burst open, the heroes streamed inside. A tremendous choreographed battle ensued – statues of the gods swaying, embellished costumes of their handlers fluttering in the breeze and sparkling in the hot sun.

Eliana wiped her brow as sweat trickled down her face from underneath her heavy headdress. Her neck ached ceaselessly – whether from the weight of the crown or the force of yesterday's blows to the face, she could not say. She only knew that her head hurt, and she wanted nothing more than to sleep in a cool, dark room with her babies.

She had barely seen the children since her arrival in Babylon, and the hectic schedule of the festival fortnight left little time for visiting. It felt as though someone had cut off one of her arms – like she was missing a fundamental part of herself. Mari sent regular reports of her babies, but it was not the same as holding them every day.

A great cheer went up from the crowd as the evil gods were overcome and, one by one, fell to the ground. Nabu emerged victorious, freeing the mighty Marduk from his imprisonment; finally, she was free to return to the palace.

The festivities seemed never-ending. On the eighth day, the entire court was required to gather in Ubshu-Ukkina, the Hall of Destinies, where the 'gods' deliberated between themselves and decided to join all their forces together and bestow them upon Marduk. Samsu implored each of them in turn to support and honour Marduk, supreme commander of the gods and wielder of all their powers. The great god was unique in his position – receiving submission from all the others as recognition of his strength.

The victory of Marduk over Tiamat was celebrated the following day, in yet another procession. This time to the House of Akitu, outside the city walls. The squat stone temple was immaculately kept, with trees carefully cultivated and beautifully laid out to show respect to the god who granted life to nature. The procession was a joyful one, but Eliana felt oppressed by the dark forces that they celebrated the supposed destruction of.

There was a feast at the House of Akitu on the tenth day; to add insult to injury, Eliana was not only required to attend, but was demoted from her place at Samsu's side. She sat in silence throughout, seething and eating nothing, arrayed as a queen, but looking for all the world like she was severely out of Samsu's favour, with her bruises and her lowly position at the table.