Chapter 4 | part 3

Eliana slipped her arm through Mari’s as they walked barefoot through the garden. Kisha tired easily in this late stage of pregnancy so was resting inside, out of the heat.

The air was heavy with perfume you could almost taste, the flowers in full bloom.

They set the garden aflame in hues of red, orange and yellow, carefully arranged to exquisite effect, bordered by leafy greens and sprays of purple. Planted in banks, they were perfectly spaced to create pathways designed to lead the wanderer from one delight to the next. Eliana felt like a bee as she flitted from blossom to blossom, exclaiming over the beauty of this petal or the sweetness of that scent.

She picked a few posies. The girls paused on the bridge over the stream that wound its way through the little patch of paradise, its waters channelled from the canal that nestled beside the palace. Two levels created a gentle waterfall; beneath the tumbling waters sat a statue of Enki, the god of fresh water and of male potency. Dressed in the skin of a carp, wrapped around with his double helix snakes and wearing the horned crown of divinity, the stone effigy looked terrifying and laughable all at once.

Eliana leaned over the bridge, pulling petals off her flowers to drop in the water, watching them swirl away. She sighed. ‘Such beauty here, but at such an ugly price. You know, I think I could cope with just Samsu by himself. It’s him teamed with the Brute I can’t endure.’

‘I know.’ A shadow crossed Mari’s face. ‘I have my own history with him.’

Eliana looked at her, squinting against the sun. ‘He hasn’t... violated you too?’

‘No, nothing like that. Worse.’ Her voice cracked a little; she cleared her throat.

‘What could possibly be worse?’

‘He... he murdered my family.’

‘I’m so sorry.’ Eliana reached out and placed a hand on the older girl’s arm.

‘I’m fine,’ Mari smiled through tear-filled eyes. ‘Really. I’m glad they’re not alive to see me brought into slavery.’

‘What did your family do? You know, before.’

‘We were shepherds. My two brothers would take the flock out to graze, and I would stay home with mother.’

Suspicion crept over Eliana. ‘Your brothers – how old were they?’

‘Twelve and fourteen. Why?’

The colour drained from Eliana’s face. ‘I... I think I watched them die.’

Mari’s hands flew to her mouth, stifling a cry.

‘The Brute and Samsu did it together. The memory still gives me nightmares.’ Eliana said. When Mari didn’t move, Eliana hugged her tightly.

‘I’m sorry,’ came a muffled voice. ‘I’m fine, it’s just a shock.’

‘It’s ok,’ Eliana rubbed her back.

At length, Mari broke away. She took a deep breath. ‘Well, that was unexpected!’

Eliana raised an eyebrow. ‘Are you sure you’re alright?’

‘Of course. What’s done is done. It’s been nearly three years – I’ve grieved for my family. In a way, it’s almost nice to know that someone else still mourns my brothers too.’

The girls linked arms again and made their way slowly back to the terrace that led into their apartments.

Kisha was up when they returned, working at her loom. She was more than halfway through an elaborate rendering of Inanna, the goddess of the morning and evening, standing on the backs of two lionesses against an eight-pointed star.

She looked up and smiled when the girls came in. ‘So, what do you think of our little garden?’

‘It’s gorgeous,’ sighed Eliana. ‘I can see myself spending many hours out there.’

Picking up Kisha’s lyre from its stand, she plucked at a few strings.

‘Oh, play us something, Eliana!’ said Mari. ‘I can’t play a note, myself. It was never very important for a shepherd’s daughter to be musical.’

Mari settled herself onto a floor cushion with a basket of mending, while Eliana perched on the bench next to Kisha, who continued her weaving.

It had been some months since she had played properly, but her fingers soon loosened up and began to dance across the strings – picking out the soothing song that Kisha would sing to calm her nightmares.

When the song ended, she stilled the strings and looked out across the terrace. Utu was beginning to lower his great golden head to the horizon, and the sun’s rays gilded every petal in the garden. Eliana took a deep breath of the flower-scented air. Harmony reigned.

‘I could find some happiness here,’ she thought. ‘For the first time since the conquest, I could really be happy – with my sister, my friend, and my little niece or nephew.’

Her thoughts were interrupted as the door to the apartment flew open without so much as a knock. Eliana’s heart plunged as the Brute strode in.

Kisha cried out in fear at the first sight of him, crossing her arms protectively over her belly. Mari and Eliana stood up defensively, ready to shield her.

He made a beeline straight for Eliana – the vile lechery she had read on his face that morning plain in his eyes again.

She realised his intention too late and turned to run – he grabbed her by the wrist so hard that she felt her bones bend under his grip. He began to drag her towards the bedroom.

‘No!’ she screamed, pulling away. ‘No! NO!’

He stopped, twisting her arm up behind her, making her shout with pain and rise onto her tiptoes in an effort to ease it.

He brought his mouth close to her ear, but didn’t trouble to lower his voice. ‘You can be sure that your words this morning about Samsu not breaking you will get back to him. I promise you, he’ll take them as a personal challenge. You should be thankful that it’s only me come to give you a lesson... for now. He said that I could take you for training whenever I like, slut, and I’m taking him at his word. Now,’ he chuckled cruelly, ‘let’s put that loud mouth of yours to better use.’

She cast a pleading look at Kisha as he pushed her past. Kisha stared in mute horror, hands gripping the sides of her loom so tightly that her knuckles looked in danger of splitting the skin.

Mari stood silently. There was nothing she could do.

Keeping her arm in its painful twist, the Brute forced Eliana ahead of him. He threw her into the bedroom, slamming the door behind them.