Chapter 14 | part 1

His cheek bearing the ragged red marks of Eliana's claws, Ashan appeared in the apartments the following day with another gift from Samsu.

She stepped forward to take it from him, shaking it out and holding it up to the light – it was a beautiful light gown of diaphanous gold gauze. She frowned, wrinkling her brow in confusion. After the look Samsu gave her at the feast yesterday, she certainly hadn't been expecting another gift.

'It's beautiful, but I have nothing to wear under it, and no occasion to wear it for.'

'I don't believe you're required to wear anything under it. You're to put it on with the earrings he sent yesterday, and be prepared to come with me in a few hours.'

Her jaw dropped. 'I can't wear this!' she said indignantly. 'It's indecent.'

Ashan shrugged. 'You have to. You know I'm only the messenger.'

'Why does he want to see me again so soon? I suppose you told him about yesterday!'

'You left me with little choice. If you had vented your rage on my arms I could have bluffed some sort of believable story, but there was no convincing explanation for these raked scratch marks on my face. I tried not to tell him, but he wouldn't be put off.'

She gave him a look of pure disgust. 'I thought you loved me,' she hissed, turning away.

At that moment, Kisha walked in and began exclaiming over the lovely gown; Ashan had no opportunity to respond. Defeated, he left.

'What's this in aid of?' asked Kisha, allowing the fabric of the gown to run through her fingers like water, shimmering as it caught the light.

'I don't know,' Eliana said heavily. 'Samsu wants me to wear it to go to him this afternoon.'

'Elly,' Kisha put a hand on her sister's arm. 'What's happened between you and Ashan? What have you done to make him so miserable? He was always our friend, but he's lost all his energy and enthusiasm – he's just not himself anymore.'

'I haven't done anything,' she mumbled. 'I don't want to talk about it. Come with me to the bathhouse? I may be a whore, but I will not be called dirty.'

It hurt her to change the subject. She wanted nothing more than to confide in her sister and have her advice; but the less Kisha knew, the more credible she would be if anyone ever asked her about it.

She came back from the bathhouse clean, fragrant and full of dread. Slipping into the new gown, she stared down and her body and blushed deep crimson to see how little detail it obscured. Sitting in front of the polished obsidian reflecting stone, she gave her face a dusting of powder to conceal her blushes and outlined her eyes in green malachite to match the emerald of the earrings.

Standing before the stone smoothing the dress over her hips, she heard Mari gasp in shock behind her. 'Eliana! That dress! You look...'

'...like a whore.' Eliana finished bitterly.

When Ashan arrived to collect her, his face was drawn and taut, his expression pained. He said nothing as he escorted her to Samsu's rooms. His fists were clenched and he walked so quickly that Eliana had to hurry to keep up; she would not lower herself to ask him to slow down.

Samsu was waiting when she entered. His eyes lit at the sight of her – a goddess in translucent gold. He waited until she was in her bow before walking around her, taking in every detail of her appearance appreciatively.

'Sit up,' he ordered.

She obeyed, sitting back onto her heels, keeping her eyes on the ground, afraid to give away her anxiety if they met his.

'So, karkittu, it would seem that we haven't yet managed to tame you after all. You are wild and feral as you were when you arrived. I was unhappy to hear that you used your claws against my stepson when he brought you my gift, like a stray cat run mad. Well, if you insist on behaving like an animal, you will have to be chained like one.'

Eliana looked up in alarm. Her eyes darted around the room, coming to rest on a pile of floor cushions against the wall beneath a torch bracket. From the bracket dangled a gilded chain.

She suddenly felt that she couldn't breathe – her heart raced in alarm. She panicked.

Leaping to her feet, she turned to run. A guard was there in an instant, cutting off her escape through the door. He caught her full under the chin with his fist, sending her crashing to the ground. She scrambled up and tried another way, towards the door leading to Samsu's living chambers. She heard him laugh as Asag blocked her path – she struck out at him in blind hysteria. He caught her wrist and twisted her arm behind her, pushing her in front of him, forcing her towards the cushion pile.

Eliana twisted and kicked and bucked like a frightened horse, but he embedded his free hand in her hair, catching it and holding her head immobile as Samsu moved behind her. She heard the light jingle of the chain, and the crack of a padlock closing.

Asag released her abruptly, taking three rapid steps backward. She lunged for him immediately, stretching out a hand to rake his eyes with her nails, desperate to get past him.

She moved no further than two steps before the chain snapped taut and she was jerked back by her collar with such a bruising blow to the throat that she coughed and her eyes filled with tears.

Trying again, she found that she couldn't move beyond the cushions. In the heat of her futile fury, she picked one up and hurled it at Ashan – he ducked.

Samsu roared with laughter. 'My wild karkittu! Be careful – if you throw away all your bedding, the nights will be cold and uncomfortable for you!'

'Nights! How long are you going to keep me here?'

He spread his hands infuriatingly. 'For as long as it pleases me and you do not. Don't worry, you will be well cared for. But if you are going to act like an animal, I shall keep you chained up as my little pet until you are house trained. If you continue to be disobedient, you can be sure that I can make this far more uncomfortable for you.'

'How?' she spat, outraged.

Chuckling, he said, 'you have a warm and comfortable bed, for now. You will be well-fed, for now. You are clothed, for now. You have free use of all your limbs, for now. You have a long chain that allows you to lie down, sit, stand and move around, for now. Have some imagination, karkittu. I promise you that I have plenty.'

He turned away. 'Guard her, Asag. See that she doesn't try anything stupid. It's amazing what this one can come up with when trapped. Come along, Ashan. The emissaries are waiting.'

Ashan followed as he walked away, glancing back for one last look at Eliana. Their eyes met – hers blazed with hatred, while his were full of anguish.

As soon as they were gone, she collapsed down onto the cushions, tilted her head back and gave a piercing scream of helpless rage.