Chapter 13 | part 3

It was as if the gods had brought the walls themselves to life.

The usually quiet palace was alive with music and voices. Eliana and Kisha gave a gasp of awe as they passed under the blue arch into the great hall. Lit by hundreds of flaming torches, their light lost as it stretched into the shadows of the cavernous ceiling, it had been decorated for the occasion with flowers and wreaths and every beautiful thing that Nippur could offer in order to impress Hammurabi's emissaries. Samsu was determined that they should return to Babylon carrying tales of the splendour of the prince's city and his skills as a ruler.

Tonight's company was a mix of every part of Nippur's elite – priests, scholars, officials, wealthy merchants, military officers – any man who could bring lively and stimulating conversation to the table was invited.

Eyes followed the girls as they entered. Kisha held her head high, eyes half-closed in a serene sort of trance, hands clasped before her as she made her way through the throng. The crowds parted for her like the tide before a ship, and Eliana followed in her wake, uncomfortable with the stares.

Several minutes passed before it dawned on her why they were receiving so much attention – they were the only women in the room. Tonight was a piece of diplomatic theatre to show off Samsu's wealth, possessions, leadership and citizens; Eliana and Kisha fell under the category of possessions.

The page boy showed them to their places at the long trestle directly beneath the high table at which Samsu would sit. Covered in white muslin, set with great plates of beaten and engraved copper and strewn with rose petals and fragrant thyme, not a single detail had been overlooked.

They were seated with a handful of priests and scholars, none of whom paid them the least bit of attention. Samsu's attitudes to women, even his wife, were well-known; no man would waste his effort befriending the sisters if they did not have the prince's ear.

It suited them just fine – if no-one was interested they could hold their own conversations and pass comment on the people around them without fear of being reprimanded as long as they drew no attention to themselves. They would be as a delicately woven tapestry – to be looked at and admired, but not engaged with.

A great gong was rung at the front of the hall, the music ceased and the guests moved to their seats, standing respectfully in their places waiting for Samsu to appear.

He emerged from the back of the hall, leading Susa by the arm. She was gorgeously attired in a tiered gown of purple silk and draped with gems; her face was powdered, but even from this distance Eliana could see that it had settled unflatteringly into the deep lines around her eyes and mouth.

Behind Susa came Ashan in a ceremonial general's tunic, leading Ani in a gown of rose pink. Bringing up the rear was the Brute. Eliana's stomach still knotted with fear whenever she looked at him, however safe the collar might make her.

They took their seats at the table on the raised platform, and Samsu gestured for the assembly to sit.

A young steward stepped into the centre of the room. 'His Royal Highness, Samsu, Prince of Babylon, Lugal of Nippur, has most graciously condescended to receive and feast the emissaries of his father, the might Hammurabi of Babylon. To show their gratitude to their most excellent prince, they wish to make a presentation of gifts.'

Samsu inclined his head in thanks, gesturing for the great doors at the side of the chamber to be opened.

In marched seven men, ranging in age from beardless youths to salt-haired statesmen, all in the official white linen tunics of an emissary, crisply pressed and draped in immaculate folds over their shoulders. They stopped in front of the high table and bowed.