Chapter 20 | part 1

The day of the wedding came around far too quickly for Eliana's liking, even with the extra week's grace that Ashan had managed to win her.

She knew very little of what to expect from the ceremony, beyond what she had seen of Kisha's wedding almost three years ago. From what Ashan had told her, this would be a far grander affair than her sister's marriage. Ashan could not explain why – perhaps it was an indication of Samsu's respect for her, he suggested. When she pulled a face, he shrugged, adding that it might be an attempt to gain some popularity with the people by putting on a grand spectacle for them. That sounded more likely.

A wedding would traditionally take place in the house of the bride's father, as responsibility for her wellbeing and ownership of her person passed from father to new husband. For Eliana, it would have been farcical to be married in her father's house – Samsu owned her; he had made that clear on the day he fastened the collar around her neck.

She had grown used to it now, the warm metal almost a comforting shield at her neck. She could not remember what it felt like to be without it – it had been part of her for over a year.

The ceremony, Ashan said, was to take place at the base of Enlil's temple, now given over to the worship of Marduk. To ensure a son this time, Samsu wanted the marriage blessed by his god, and so it would take place in sight of his house.

A dressmaker was sent to measure Eliana for a gown worthy of the occasion, and what he produced was truly magnificent. The golden shimmer of the fabric was like liquid sunlight, the tailoring exquisitely crafted to Eliana's shape, and the five tiers of the gown were so encrusted with beading that the creation could almost stand unassisted.

On the day of the wedding, Mari helped her into it, straightening and arranging each segment so that it lay perfectly under the next. Eliana's hair was washed and combed through with jasmine oil before being pinned into an elaborate and ornamented style so that some curls were plaited atop her head and secured with gold and emerald pins, while others were left to flow freely down her back or fashioned into soft spirals to frame her pale face.

Lining her eyes with malachite and gold dust, darkening her lashes with kohl and applying subtle vermillion to her lips and cheeks, she was almost ready. Mari had decorated Eliana's entire body with breathtaking henna designs yesterday – originally, they had only intended to decorate her arms and legs, but they had had so much fun over the patterning and symbolism that they soon got carried away, and Eliana's skin became a living canvas for Mari's art.

She wore the gold leaf-shaped earrings that Samsu had given her when she had pleased him so many months ago and slipping her feet into gold and beaded sandals. With her collar being so eyecatching, there was no need for more jewellery, though she felt a little pang of regret at having buried her mother's bracelet with Kisha. She would have liked a little piece of her family with her on this day. Although she had resigned herself to the fact that it must happen, she still felt a knot of nerves in her stomach at the thought of being the at the centre of such a prominent ceremony.

She was nothing more than an ornament, she told herself. She must stand and look pretty, and follow where she was directed. Everything would be fine.

It was almost midday when Ashan's knock sounded on the door. He had come to collect her for the procession through the city to the temple.

His eyes widened when he saw her, his thoughts written plain on his face. She looked like Inanna come to earth – a goddess renowned for her transcendent beauty. Wordlessly, he offered his arm. She took it graciously and followed him with her head held high.

He led her through a part of the palace she had never seen before; they emerged in the front courtyard where Samsu waited for upon his towering chestnut stallion, surrounded by a mounted guard. In contrast to his wedding to Kisha, he had dressed for the occasion. The tunic he wore was a match for her gown, created from the same fabric that could have been spun by Utu himself from his own rays.