Chapter 12 | part 2

Ashan's knock came at the usual time; only this time, it was for Eliana.

She was dressed in a gown of leaf-green beaded and embroidered in gold, with the faintest dusting of vermillion on her lips and cheeks to hide her frightened pallor.

Kisha hugged her in silence – she had no more advice to give. She knew that whatever guidance she gave to her volatile little sister, urging her to calm and placidity, would be ignored the moment that Samsu said something to rile her.

Eliana left with Ashan. He was unusually quiet as he escorted her to Samsu's rooms, though she could find the way herself by now.

'Ashan?' she asked, tentatively. 'What's wrong? What should I expect?'

'He means to have you tonight,' he said, his voice clipped and tight. 'But I cannot tell you what to expect – he's had rather a lot to drink.'

'Well, this could be interesting then,' she tried to make light of it. 'I can't imagine him drunk.'

'You will not have to imagine it.'

They walked in silence until they reached the familiar carved door that always filled Eliana with dread.

When she entered the room, she was astonished to see Samsu lounging half-dressed across his floor cushions, a jar of date wine still in one hand, staring at the ceiling with unfocused eyes.

She was so taken aback that she forgot to bow. The prince did not even seem to notice. Ashan went to his usual post, one of four guards in the chamber, as ever. Slowly, as if his skull weighed more than the rest of his whole body, Samsu brought his head straight and concentrated his gaze on Eliana.

'You're poison, d'you know that?' he lurched to his feet, fingers reaching out for something to grasp onto and finding only air. He staggered a little.

'Me, poison?' Eliana didn't know whether to be shocked or laugh aloud at the absurdity.

'You're nothing but a wretched shade, come up from the underworld to torment me, are you not?'

Eliana was astonished, thinking that Samsu had run mad. 'No, I'm not. Whose shade would I be?'

'You are,' he insisted. 'How else could you have bewitched me? You take the form of the only person to ever love me and ensnare me with those eyes of dark fire that sear my flesh and bone. I pray to Marduk daily to protect me from your spells.' He walked unsteadily to her and caught up a lock of her hair. 'Enchantments as black and twisted as your raven curls.'

'I didn't ask for this! If you don't want me here then set me free!' she snapped back without thinking.

'Quiet!' he barked. 'That was always your problem, Eshnunna. If you had been obliging and acquiescent when you had the chance, you would still be alive!'

He sat abruptly on the bed and dropped his head into his hands. Eliana was stunned. When he didn't move and she could stand the curiosity no longer, she moved to stand beside him.

Placing a light hand on his shoulder, she asked gently, 'who was Eshnunna?'

He shrugged her off. 'Don't touch me. Kneel. You do not stand higher than me.' His voice was still muffled by his hands and he did not look up.

She folded her legs beneath her and sat back on her heels, watching him with fascination.

'Eshnunna was my sister, and you are as like her as a resurrected spirit. She didn't know what was good for her either. Full of life and laughter, outspoken and rebellious. She raised me much as your sister raised you – nobody else paid me much heed, the youngest of the three sons. Our parents were occupied with my two elder brothers as they fought over the chance to be crown prince; Eshnunna was the only one who ever cared about me. If she had just obeyed our father, she would still be alive today.'