Chapter 6 | part 2

Holding Kisha's hand, Eliana lowered herself into the water.

Seven days on from her ordeal, she had regained enough mobility that Mari declared it was time for the bandages to come off. The three girls had come to the bathhouse to soak the linen off and avoid pulling at the still-raw skin.

Eliana breathed deeply, feeling the fabric beginning to grow heavy and peel off. Cautiously, Kisha took hold of one end and gave a gentle tug – the bandage came away easily.

When her back was free, she turned it to the others. 'How does it look?' she asked, a hint of nervousness in her voice.

'Not too terrible, actually,' said Mari. 'As long as you leave it alone to breathe and heal, you might escape relatively unmarked.'

Eliana exhaled in relief. 'A near-miss, then. I can cope with most things, but I'd rather not have permanent scars to remind me of them.'

In truth, there was more than a little vanity in her. She had always had such a flawless complexion – smooth, carnelian-coloured skin, always unblemished and well cared for. Though she had never taken an interest in the boys who tried to court her, she knew she was attractive, with high cheekbones, rosebud lips, and a slender figure, all accentuated by the jet curls that tumbled to her waist.

Above all, she knew that her eyes were her best feature, as well as how to use them. Black and sparkling with mischief, almond-shaped and tilted up at the corners, framed by long charcoal lashes – she had learned at an early age how to stop a man with a well-timed glance.

But now, beauty was her curse. Perhaps if she'd been born ugly, Samsu would have left her in peace.

Kisha washed the remaining honey from her back with tender hands, then took up the soap and helped her to wash her hair.

Producing a little jar, Mari beckoned Eliana from the water. She lay face down on a bench and gritted her teeth as Mari began to work oil into the still-damaged skin.

'What's this?' she asked.

'Calendula, lavender, rosemary and chamomile. My own blend – it should help to minimise the scarring.'

'You're a wonder, Mari,' smiled Kisha. 'I think you've missed your calling in life – you should have been a physician.'

'I think I am being one!' laughed Mari. 'My skills are certainly in high demand these last few weeks.'

She gave Kisha a quick massage too, working the tension out of her neck and shoulders. Then, clean, dried and dressed, the girls made their way back to their rooms, laughing arm-in-arm.

They stopped in their tracks as they entered via the terrace.

A plump woman with fine hair severely scraped back under a black-and-gold headdress was shaking out and re-folding Kisha's dresses. She worked as though it was usual for her to be here, as if she belonged in these rooms.

Whey-faced and pinch-mouthed with a scowl drawing all her features down, she looked older than her years, and she could not be a day younger than forty.

Kisha coughed politely, the woman looked up.

Getting a plain view of her face, Eliana recognised her as the woman who had followed Susa when they encountered each other that first day in the palace.

'Can I help you, Ani?' asked Kisha, voice strained with courtesy.

Ani inclined her head, 'I am here to help you, my lady.'

'You are?'

'My mistress sent me to be of any assistance I can in your final weeks of pregnancy. She was concerned that those about you are too young to be knowledgeable about such matters. Samsu's heir must be brought into this world with all propriety and care.'

'I thank you and your mistress most kindly for your consideration, but Mari, Eliana and I are getting along just fine here.'

'Nonetheless, the Lady Susa would have skilled hands about you when your labour begins. I am to remain here until after the birth of the child. The son of such a great man as the husband you share must be given the best possible start in life.'

'Then I have no option but to welcome you to our home,' smiled Kisha, as though nothing would please her better.

Mari took Eliana's arm and steered her into the bedroom before she could retort against the implied slight on her care of her sister.

'Don't say anything against her,' whispered Mari, urgently.

'Why not?'

'She is Susa's bastard sister – born of King Simash of Elam and some nameless slave, and taken hostage with Susa when Samsu's father crushed their kingdom. She is Susa's most trusted confidante. If she is here, it can only mean that Susa has sent her to spy and report back.'

Eliana clenched her fists at her sides, 'by what right does she place a spy in my sister's household?'

'By her right as Samsu's consort. Susa is a danger to this baby, and Ani merely her puppet. If it is a boy, she will try to take him away to raise as her own, or simply find a way to remove him.'

Hands flying to her mouth in horror, Eliana urged, 'is there no way to just get rid of this woman? To refuse her a bed here?'

Mari shook her head. 'Susa has charge of all Kisha's domestic arrangements; it's her right as first wife and consort. If we try to interfere, she could just as easily have us placed elsewhere – then Kisha would be all alone. All we can do is keep watchful – try not to leave Ani alone in the apartments, and certainly not alone with Kisha any more than necessary.'

Eliana blew out a long breath between her teeth, frustration clear in the set of her jaw. This Susa was a more formidable enemy than she had given her credit for – she didn't wage her wars as Eliana would, forthright and honest and blunt; instead, she used underhanded wiles to sneak and disrupt and spy.

Trying to wipe the disgust from her face and arrange her features pleasantly, Eliana went to join her sister at her loom.