A New Life

Steve's POV.

It's been 4 months since I came back from the whole time traveling incident. Peggy and I are going steady. Which Tony told me as soon as I announced it, that no one uses that term anymore, but I like the term and so does Peggy.
Anyway things have been going very well. It's like I've never been without her. She makes everything perfect again. When I'm with her I feel...happy. I haven't felt really happy on a long time, so it's a very nice change.

I was sitting in on the couch thinking about all of this when I heard a knock at the door. "Steve? It's me, Peggy." A female voice shouted. A smile crept across my face. 'Just when I was thinking about her.' "Come in!" I yelled.

The door opened and she walked in with a smile. "Hello darling." She said. I walked over to her and we embraced. We pulled away looking at each other. "Hi. What's up?" I asked. "Nothing I just wanted to see you." She said smiling. "I like that." I said. She giggled. "I thought you would. But I lied." I shook my head and shrugged. "It was too good to be true." I joked.

She laughed. "Captain. I'm here on official Avengers business." She said playfully saluting me. I laughed and sat down on the couch. "At ease agent. What is it?" I asked playing along. She laughed. "Captain. Major Stark wanted me to inform you that he has chosen you to be his best man at his wedding." She continued still playing soldier. I shook my head a smiled. "Well. Tell 'Major Stark' that I am honored." I said. "Yes Captain. Oh and the wedding is this Saturday." "Okay." I said.

She stood there and cleared her throat. "What?" I asked. "You have to dismiss me. What? Have you gotten soft or something?" She asked. I laughed. "No." I stood up and saluted her playfully. "You're dismissed Carter." I said. She saluted back and started walking out.

"Wait!" She turned around. "What?" She asked. "I didn't mean for you to leave." I said. She giggled. "Alright. As you wish." She came over to me and we sat down on the couch together. I put my arm around her and she leaned her head on my shoulder.

"So Tony took my advice." I stated. "Yep. He did." She said. "Wow. I would of never thought Tony would be tying the knot." I said. "And why not? Howard did apparently so why couldn't he?" She asked. "He's just so stubborn and has a giant ego. I knew he should but I never thought he would." I explained. "I see. Well he did and that's that. I'm happy for them both." She said. "Me to." I agreed.

We sat there in silence for a while. "Peg?" I started. "Hmm?" She she asked. "Have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you.... wouldn't have you know crashed with me?" I asked. I knew what her life would have been like, but she did not. "No. Why would I?" She asked. "Oh because, I mean you changed history." I said. She turned to me and looked at me. "I know. Do you know what my life was-would have been like?" She asked.

I looked into her eyes and nodded, almost scared. I was worried if I told her she would wish she wouldn't have changed anything. "Steve what's wrong? What happened?" She asked. I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

'Why did I ask that question? Why? Everything was perfect. I was happy and so was she. All it brought back was pain and suffering. Why did I have to ask?' I thought tearing into myself.

"Steve?" She asked with worry and confusion in her eyes. "Y-You..." I start, but am unable to finish because of the tears I am trying to hold back. I close my eyes and swallow looking down. "I...what?" She asked. I sighed and looked up at her. "You got married." She looked down and turned from me.

"I...got married? To who?" She asked. I took a deep breath remembering what Peggy had told me. "His name was Daniel Sousa. You and...him would have gotten married." I told her then looked back down. "Did you know him?" She asked. "No. Apparently I saved him when we fought in Russia." I told her.