Chapter 14

Copyrights 2013 © Elena Sgro

All Rights Reserved

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 14:

My nerves were running on high alert as Donavan and I step through the threshold of my house with Santo close behind us. I could feel Santo's eyes on me as I walked ahead of him. I knew he was smirking. I could practically hear the cogs in his head turning as he thought up a plan, in some weird was this way his scheme to get back at me. Punish me for whatever reason, make me feel uncomfortable. Why exactly I wasn't sure, it could have been a number of things, but I knew this was his plan to make me suffer, especially because he knew the interrogation would start the minute Donavan stepped foot into the living room where the rest of my family was. The only thing I was thankful for was that the whole family wasn't here, just Nonna, Nonno, and Dad. Ladies and gentlemen my brother was a childish man-baby.

I jumped when I felt a large warm hand grab hold of mine, consuming it completely, and knocking me out of my absorbing thoughts. Looking up I found Donavan staring down at me, facial expression was cool, calm and collected, but his eyes showed me that he was slightly nervous, and I mean who wouldn't be?! Donavan and I had only been on what two/three dates, and we weren't even a couple and yet thanks to my shit-head of a brother, Donavan was already meeting part of the family. Who the hell wouldn't be nervous? we didn't know where this was going. We hadn't even had time to think where this was going.

"You really don't have to do this" I whispered to him softly.

He smiled hesitantly and squeezed my hand, he was about to reassure me, I could tell by the soft sincere gleam in his eyes. Santo cut him off, however, slinging his arms around our shoulders and forcing himself in between us and breaking our linked hands.

"Nonsense he's your new boyfriend, he should get to know the family" Santo jeered, his eyes shining bright with mischief. "Besides, Nonna has already heard he's here, there's no escaping"

Santo's arms dropped from around mine and Donavan's shoulders as he pushed past us and walked into the living room, I glared at his back the whole way hoping he would spontaneously combust into flames. Sadly, it didn't happen.

"I'm really sorry about this" I mumbled to Donavan with my head down, stopping just before the living-room archway.

"Hey," he said softly, the soft pads of his fingertips grazed my chin as he lifted my head up so that I would look at him. "We haven't known each other long, I haven't asked you to be officially mine yet, and I'm nervous about meeting your family, but I don't mind. I see us going somewhere and even though it's a bit early to be meeting the family, especially after only two dates, I'm okay with it"

My heart jumped in my chest as I looked into his eyes, warm hazel eyes showing me that he meant every word, and in a way, it scared me. When I first met Donavan, I wasn't looking for a relationship. Far from it. Even now I wasn't sure if I was looking for a relationship and yet those words, those beautiful words, had me reconsidering my view on this whole thing. He saw this relationship going somewhere. I could safely say no other man had said that to me before. No other man had been so honest with their feelings about us. It was sweet but also felt like a lot of pressure on me.

I couldn't deny it, there was something about Donavan that compelled me to him. Nothing like what I felt for D'Angelo, but I wouldn't let myself think about him any longer. D'Angelo had consumed my mind and it hurt to think about a man that didn't want me the way Donavan saw me. The man had just confessed he wanted me, why was I still thinking of D'Angelo. I was trying to forget about him and though it wasn't fair to Donavan there was something about him that could help me forget. I was comfortable around him, I didn't feel the need to hide or protect myself from his seductive charm, that wasn't to say that I wasn't attracted to Donavan, I was, it was just that he didn't force himself on me as D'Angelo had.