Secret Desire: new beginnings

We took off again, heading toward the canyon where seconds later we intercepted him. He was in his form. When he saw us, he winced and ran faster. He couldn't out run us, he never could. Kale grabbed him roughly by the thick fur of his neck. He whimpered.

"You should not be here!" Kale snapped. Nathan growled deep from his throat. Kale jostled him. "You are not in any position to give me attitude, Nathan!" Kale hissed, his eyes starting to turn black.

"Have you even comprehended the danger you put yourself in?" I growled at him now, standing over him.

He looked up at me, his golden eyes wide with a sort of guilt. He let out the tinest whine. Even as a vampire I was still a softy. I sighed, getting down to his level. I just had to bend slightly. He was a pretty big wolf, like Jason.

"Nathan..." I said quietly.

"Jamie..." Kale complained, instantly recognizing my understanding side.

I glanced up at him. Our eyes locked. Something in my eyes obviously made him sigh now. He let go of Nathan's fur and stood up, crossing his arms.

"How'd you get away from the others?" I asked, looking at Nathan again. "Did you trick them? Charm them?"

His fluffy tail wagged once in one smooth, snake-like motion. Kale made a sound above us. I glanced up as he rolled his eyes.

"Anya and Jason are going to be pissed." I said to both of them, standing up now. "Let's go." I ruffled the fur on Nathan's head.

"We should send him home." Kale muttered as Nathan moved on my other side, not wanting to be next to Kale.

I kept my hand in Nathan's fur as we headed back to the canyon. His smell, along witht the other shapshifters and Shane, used to bother me in a way. But since I love them all, I've gotten used to the musky, thick smell.

"We should let Jason and Anya decide that. He's not going back alone if that's what they decide though."

He looked at me the way he always did when he was trying to figure me out. He was studying me.

"You're not taking him back." It wasn't a question, it was a stern statement. I shurgged. "Jamie." He growled at me. I looked up at him surprised. It wasn't everyday he growled at me out of frustration.

"Kalsaban." I glared up at him.

Nathan made a snorting noise beside me as if he was trying to hold back a laugh, even in his form. Kale shot a glare at Nathan now. Nathan always cracked up when I said his full name.

"Twice in less then an hour, I think that's a new record." He murmured then looked at me again. "You're. Not. Taking. Him." He repeated a little slower this time but also kind of between his teeth.

I glanced down at Nathan then back at him. I didn't say anything. We just stared at eachother, still walking at an even pace toward the canyon. Our staring contest lasted all the way to the mouth of the canyon.

"Nathan Jay! What the hell are you doing here?!" Jason's voice hissed out.

All three of us looked at him. Anya's eyes were wide as if she couldn't believe he was actually in front of her right now. I nudged Nathan toward them. He was reluctant to move.

"He's not supposed to be here." Anya stated under her breath.

"I know. He knows." I shook my head. "I'm not sure how he did it, but he's here now. Don't be too hard on him."

Jason snapped his fingers, making Nathan sulk over to him. His ears were back and tail was drooping.

"You are in huge trouble!" Jason growled at him, grabbing his neck the way Kale had earlier, only slightly more gentle. Nathan winced but didn't whine. Jason pulled on him so he'd follow. Anya stared after them then turned to us.