chapter 14: home

I was the quick one for once.

"Stop!" I shouted at him. "She's a friend! Part of the pack I told you about!" I told him hastily. William froze, tense all over.

He took a step back and to the side. She really was there! It had been five whole months since I saw her beautiful face, her glowing skin, her golden eyes! I sprung forward.

"Is this another dream?!" I cried. She laughed. My arms clung around her waist.

"No, I'm real." But she sounded distracted. I pulled back. Anya and William were eyeing eachother. After a moment, Anya looked at me.

"I have much to tell you, dolcetto." She began slowly. I nodded but didn't pay much attention to her somber tone. I was too excited as I let her in. "I like it. It's cozy." She smiled, gazing around my apartment.

"Thanks." I grinned. She ran her hands along the marble counters in the kitchen. Then she looked behind me.

"I see you've made a new friend." She noted. I nodded, ignoring the look they were both giving eachother.

"This is William. William, Anya." I introduced them.

"So, I supposed I can tell you both?" She asked, looking at me now. "You've told him everything?"
"Not everything but I'm sure he can keep up." I grinned at him. He failed miserably at smiling back. I scowled at him for a moment then turned my attention back to Anya. She nodded.

"Alright. Well, I know you told us you wanted to continue your human life but I'm afraid we can't let you do this anymore."

I frowned, so did William but I'm pretty sure he was confused by her words. She continued;

"Dante is back from gathering clans. Those clans will be coming after us while he comes after you." She informed me in a low voice.

"But doesn't he know I'm not with you anymore?"

"Yes." She nodded. "He's known for awhile. He contemplated on coming to get you months ago but he decided he'd rather take out Zero's clan and turn you at the same time. Like killing two birds with one stone." She shook her head. "I know you were trying to prevent this from happening but your efforts were in vain. I'm sorry, Jamie."

I shut my eyes, taking in a deep breath.

"When do you want me back?" I asked.

"Now." She mumbled.

I don't know why I agreed right away, when I fought so hard to leave them but I knew if Dante showed up here, William wouldn't stand much of a chance. I turned to him with him in mind.

"Come with us?" I asked. He stared for a long time. "William, please."

He nodded slowly.

"A little while longer." He finally agreed. I turned to Anya.

"Let's go home." She sighed. I nodded. Home...

We went outside and there it was, the Scion XD. That's when I got confused.

"Where's Jacob and Shane?"

She shrugged. "I haven't seen either of them in months."

Months? They disappeared too? My friends, along with Kale? My heart, which seemed to have gone numb with the passing months, suddenly throbbed. I was hoping to see them too but they were gone. She started the engine and we sped off.

"What about..." My voice trailed off.

She glanced over her shoulder at me as I was sitting in the passenger seat. She shook her head.