chapter 3: Zero

I was awakened sometime later, this time by voices coming into the room.

“She ate the whole thing. This bowl was filled to the top with food!” Someone spoke surprised and disgusted at the same time.

“What greedy little monsters humans are!” Someone else said just as disgusted.

I heard the dishes cling again. They walked out of the room but were still talking. They weren't even whispering. They were practically shouting, even when they were right next to me.

“What I don't get is, where the hell did Zero learn to cook?”

“He made it himself?”

“Yeah.” He seemed to hiss. “It just doesn't make sense...”

There voices became murmurs as they walked farther away from me. They were gone now, slamming the door loudly behind them. I sat up, feeling a lot better. I got out of the bed, going out into the big room. I looked around wondering if I was really alone when my eye caught something sitting on a table, on the higher level, against the wall, next to the archway leading to darkness.

The reason it caught my eye was because it was a golden little box sitting all by itself in the middle of the table. So I went over to it. Me, being a curious human, opened it. It was a typical music box. The music was soft and very pretty, almost dreamy. The two little figures dancing were really strange, though they fascinated me.

The male figure stood tall. He was wearing a suit and tie, his hair was slicked back. I could tell his little eyes were looking at the girl hungrily. He was paler then her. His arms tightly wrapped around her, as if forcing her against him. It seemed this way because her body looked completely limp. She had her hands against his chest as if trying to push away from him. Her head was back a way, slightly tilted to the side as all of her hair fell where gravity intended it to go. Her eyes were half shut as if she wanted to look away but just couldn't do it. I watched them go around slowly as the music played softly.

Then out of the corner of my eye I saw someone's body. I looked up. It was Zero, gazing down at me. I didn't even hear him come in. I had no idea how long he had even been standing there. He took a step forward, I took two steps back. He came forward again and kept coming forward until I had nowhere to go by running into a wall.

He placed his hands on either side of me, blocking me between him and the wall with his arms. He pressed his body against mine. His eyes searched my face. I looked away.

“Where'd you learn to cook?” His body tensed at my question. “Did Kale...show you?” I looked at him frowning. Had they been somewhat like friends before he killed him? He shook his head slowly, leaning down closer to my face.

“You did...” His voice came out softly. His voice rang in my ears. That distinct voice that I would know anywhere. The one that I could pick out from a million vampires talking all at once. That strong voice that was soft at the same time.

I pressed my hands against his chest. He resisted for a moment but then took a step back, his arms fell to his sides. I took a good look at his face as I looked up at him. I soaked it in and studied him. Finally I forced myself to speak.

“K-Kale?” My eyes felt wide and i'm sure they were. “Why didn't you say anything before?” I asked, feeling embarrassed about how I freaked out thinking he was dead.

“I tried but I couldn't say anything in front of the others. I knew you would have recognized my voice and I didn't want them to see your reaction.” I stared at him. “When I got you alone, it was harder then I expected it to be.” He had moved closer to me again.