chapter 2: follow

I wasn't sure how long I spent following Kale around like a pathetic little puppy. The only time I wasn't clinging to him was when I was sleeping. I would everywhere with him. Partly because he told me to, partly because I was afraid to be in this place alone. I didn't really spend any time getting to know any of the other hooded people. I tried my best to stay away from Jared, who scared me the most (not that I really could tell who exactly he was anyways.)

I hadn't seen Dante since that first night, or day I was here. I figured there were at least 50 people in this place. It wasn't really a house, a house would be way too small. If it was a house me and Kale would always be around the others. But that wasn't the case. No one was ever around. Probably because we spent most of our time in the kitchen, which the people here never used.

I was so used to Kale being around now. And i'm pretty sure he had gotten used to me. We were both a lot more comfortable around eachother. But it felt like I had been in this place for well over a month because I was just about ready to lose my mind!

“Isn't there somwhere we can go? Like I don't know, outside or something??” I looked at him. I had gotten used to the hood over his face. I hardly even noticed it now. He shook his head.

“I don't think so, Jamie—”

“But Kale--” I interrupted.

“No. It wouldn't be safe--” He interrupted me now but then he was instantly interrupted by a voice that came from the dark hallway leading out of the kitchen.

“Why don't you two go out for a little while, it'll be fine.”

Kale turned to the figure standing there now. I looked as well. He pulled back his hood, revealing his face. Kale's mouth was turned down now.

“You should really stop doing that, Dante.” He muttered sounding annoyed that he kept pulling back his hood. Dante smiled.

“Just proving to Jamie that it's me. Now go, the both of you look like you need some fresh air.”

Kale must have been watching him. After a moment he nodded.

“OK. Come on, Jamie.” He tugged on my arm gently, I followed. We walked into the TV room where he went over to a small desk where he pulled out a headband which he then proceeded to cover my eyes with.

“Can you see?” He asked.

“No.” I muttered, kind of annoyed that he had to do this. He should have trusted me by now! I wasn't going anywhere, I had no idea where we were and still had yet to figure out why I had been kidnapped in the first place.

“Good.” He began to walk, pulling me along.

It took forever but I finally felt a light breeze after hearing a clicking sound. He led me over to a vehicle and helped me get in.

“Don't take it off yet.” He said as I reached for it.

He shut the door, then I heard him get in next to me. Then I heard what sounded like a garage door opening and the engine start. He pulled out and we took off. Another while went by before he spoke again.

“You can take it off now.”

So I did. We were in a truck, a big black one as far as I could tell. It looked like the sun had just gone down. I had no idea where we were. I wasn't even sure if we were still in my home state! I looked at him.

“Isn't that illegal?” I almost laughed. I had gotten used to his hood but I have never seen anyone drive with something covering half there face. Maybe I shouldn't have been laughing, this could be dangerous...?