chapter 22: unexpected

I guess we just weren't fast enough. But instead of Emily or her brothers or Ulrich, the one that caused my pain, we ran into two others and Milo. The one's that were fighting me with Ulrich that night. If I didn't know what they were, I would have been surprised that just the three of them showed up. As a matter-of-fact I might have even laughed, if I didn't know better.

I stood between William and Jacob. They both glowered at the werewolves in front of us. Both of them stood so close to me our arms were touching and I could feel how tense they were. Anya gripped her fists tightly. But she had a smirk on her face. It seemed to be the fight she had been waiting for. Anabelle stood slightly behind William, she gripped his arm, he didn't seem to notice.

I didn't know exactly how to react. I didn't want to fight them but I knew they were going to catch up to us. I stood frozen between my companions. I could only stare. The ones I was just now able to get a good look at were both big, brawny and mean looking. Nothing unusual. They were both growling in unison. One of them had dark brown, almost black hair. It was long and tied back. His eyes were more green rather then actually hazel. The other one had carmel colored hair. It was just long enough to spike out everywhich way. His eyes were the same as the others. He was just as big as his companion.

"We have a bone to pick with you." The long haired one hissed right at me. I frowned.

"What did I do?!" I hissed back.

"Unfortunately Ivan and Zane are taking care of your boyfriend. Emily tried to come after you herself but Shane won't let her out of his sight." The other one let out a sigh.

"He's my husband." I growled through my teeth, almost as if that was the only thing I heard.

They both laughed bitterly. Anabelle grabbed William's arm tighter until he reached over, resting his hand on top of hers.

"Your husband is why we're here." The light haired one continued.

It was then, after really looking at him that I realized it was him. He was the one whose leg I broke. I bit my lip. My smile almost cracking. If anything, he was after me because of that. As if Jake just got it, he chuckled. Shane must have told him about it earlier.

"And how's that leg of yours?"

He glared at Jacob, growling furiously.

"Come on Dane, let's just finish what we came here to do." Milo finally hissed, speaking for the first time. I hadn't really noticed him. He had been strangely quiet. Looking at him, his eyes were red at the rims, almost as if he were actually...

"Your husband," Milo spit his words in disgust. "Killed my brother."

"He deserved it!" Jacob growled. Milo growled back.

"If Ulrich would have kept his hands to himself--" Anya began.

"I don't have time to talk about this!" Milo snapped, lunging forward with sudden speed that was almost impossible to catch.

It was me he came after but Anya, amazingly, was quicker. She grabbed his thick neck with one hand, flinging him to the side. He stumbled slightly, dust getting caught under his feet and flying into the air. He went after her now. She was so fast it didn't take much to get behind him. Now Dane lunged at me. Jacob and Will pushed me behind them.

"No! Let me--" But Jacob flung Dane a few feet away already.

"Touch her and you'll die the same as Ulrich!" He shouted then took off after him now as he landed on his feet. William had gone after the other one. A hand grabbed my arm.