chapter 23: strength

My dream was strange. All I could hear was voices. It took awhile for me to realize it wasn't a dream. I just couldn't open my eyes.

"Would you calm down?! She's not dead!" Kale's voice came out right above me.

"This does look pretty bad. I've never seen anything like it..." Jason spoke.

"Emily knew exactly what she was doing--" Anya was interrupted.

"She's not moving at all! How do you know she's not dead?!" It sounded like Kevin's voice? It was full of panic.

"Are you—What is wrong with you? What is wrong with him?" Kale sounded very irritated. "Why are you even in here?" He growled.

"I'm surprised you're not more worried about--" Kevin stopped talking when there was a loud popping sound. Then there was a thud in the distance. I heard a sigh and someone left. There was a long moment of silence and Kale finally spoke.

"How is this any different from what Ulrich did to her?" I could hear Kale's frown.

"Whatever is in her claws, it's very similiar to poison or venom. It seems that she might be the only one that has it in her." Jason explained.

"How do we stop it from spreading?" Kale sounded helpless once again.

"We have to find Shane." Anya said quietly.

"I'm not leaving her. Will you guys--"

"Kale, her mouth." Jacob interrupted him. I couldn't open my eyes or even move or talk for that matter but strangely I managed to smile as he said this.

"We'll be quick." Jason chuckled.

I listened the best I could, hearing Jason leave, followed by Anya and then William and Jacob. I couldn't smile for long. It was gone by the time they left.

"Poison." He muttered to himself. "Then why didn't she come after me?"

And now I was frowning. He stopped talking abruptly.

"Can you hear me, sweetheart?"

My lips twitched.

"I don't know what to do, Jamie. If it spreads, and I lose you..."

I frowned again. He stopped talking.

"Sorry." He breathed.

"Sorry about him." Anabelle's voice was in the room now. "He's really not good with seeing people hurt. Even if he doesn't like them. He's a lover, not a fighter."

"What do you mean he doesn't like her? Everyone likes Jamie."

"My fault." She seemed to apologize. He sighed. There was sudden movement.

"You're not going to try anything, are you?!" He spit out. She laughed slightly.

"Don't worry. I've got my eyes on...someone else. And besides, I've taken a liking to her. All this Jamie worship makes sense." She teased. I frowned. Jamie worship. I did not like that at all.

"Oh!" She gasped. "Can she hear me?" She asked, lowering her voice, not that it helped. He laughed.

"I don't think she liked your last comment."

I sighed which surprised me and made my whole body jump. That's when I could feel the position of my body. I was laying on my stomache, with my face turned toward them. There was nothing on my back, just a blanket covering my lower half. His hand was quickly on my arm. I could feel his touch which also surprised me.