Chapter 17- Just Be Mine

"Whatcha doing?" My dad sits on the edge of my bed.

"Nothing, I'm trying to find something to do." I lean back on the headboard.

"Well my your Aunt Carol is bring Kaleb over tonight and Kyle thought we could spend some time together."

"Yea yea."

"What's wrong?"

"Why is Kaleb always with Aunt Carol and not us?"

"He likes it over there."

"Dad."

"Well it's a lot of times that no one is home so Kaleb would be by himself. Let's be honest, if Kaleb was here full time where would he fit? I'm always at work and you're always with your boyfriend while Kyle's with his friends."

"I guess you have a point."

"If you ever wanna see him you could go over Carol's house or tell her to bring him over."

"Yea."

"So about family time?"

"Oh yea I'll be down." We fix popcorn and find a movie that Kaleb might like. I eventually fall asleep with Kaleb on my lap. I hear yelling and open one eye to see what's going on. I see my dad and Kyle watching an obviously intense football game. I smile and head back to sleep.

*The Next Morning*

I open my eyes to see the brightness of the sun and look at the clock. It reads nine twenty three as I lay Kaleb on the couch with my dad. I go upstairs and take a shower and take out a black dress my mom bought me a while back. I get out a necklace Jack gave me a few years ago because it's my favorite.

Weird right? A necklace my ex boyfriend gave me is my favorite. I flat iron my hair and I'm pretty much done at eleven twenty nine. I quickly throw on the dress and my heels.

I go downstairs where everyone else is waiting. I hold the necklace out as Jack sees it and walks towards me.

"Isn't this the one I gave you?" He takes it out of my hand.

"Yes it is." I smile.

"I can't believe you actually kept it. What if Marcus sees you wearing it?"

"Too bad." I laugh.

"May I?'

"You may." I turn around to let him put the necklace on me. The feeling of his fingers on my neck still gives me chills. When he's done I turn around. He fixes my hair and smiles. I look in his eyes as he looks in mine. The same eyes I looked into the night he hurt me.

Looking back at it I feel like I forgave him too quickly. I'm snapped out of my thoughts when my Jack begins to speak.

"You look beautiful."

"Thanks." I notice Kyle's friends and my dad smirk as Jack and I stare intently into each other's eyes. My dad and Kyle clear their throats as we break our gaze. We all get ready to go as everyone going to the funeral starts to come over.

We talk a bit but get ready to go. Police officers leading the funeral possession greet us as we get into the limousine. We arrive at my childhood church as the parking is already pretty full.

We walk in and take a sit on the first row. It takes everything in me not to cry when I hear my dad sniffing.

"We have all gathered here today to celebrate the life of the late Kate Jackson. She has been great to all of us and will be greatly missed but we know she is in a better place. Her husband, her two sons, and her daughter are still here to live on her legacy. We will have a few words from her daughter Kyla Jackson." The pastor says. I look around a bit before standing up and going to the pulpit.