five

05

Same day 

Lucy sat on the green grass near the bleachers after meeting up with Zayn. It had been a while since she had a dose of cigarettes so she just had to buy them from him. Taking one stick from its pack, she put them between her pale pink lips before getting out her journal to write an entry for the day. But before she could even write down the date, Lucy heard someone’s footsteps approaching.

“Hey.” greeted Harry with a guilty smile on his face. He really didn’t mean to follow her to the field but like Liam had told him, he needed to get closer to his number one suspect.

Lucy rolled her eyes, “Why are you here, Harry? Shouldn’t you be in class? Being the nerd you are.” She took the cigarette from her lips to lightly tap it against the cover of her journal.

“Once again, do not call me a nerd.” Harry reminded Lucy about it for the second time, “Why are you here anyway? Shouldn’t you be in class?”

“You sure know how to make people shut their mouth. No wonder you’re a nerd.” smirked Lucy as she placed back the cigarette between her lips.

“That nickname is going to get old by next week.” Harry raised his eyebrows at Lucy, “I know how bad cigarettes are but aren’t you going to light it?”

The girl took the cigarette and began to motion it to him, “It’s a metaphor. You put the killing thing between your teeth but you don’t give it the power to do its killing. Therefore, it’s powerless.” Then she placed it back into its original place in the box.

The green-eyed boy sensed the familiarity of the girl’s choice of words and scoffed, “Didn’t you just quote Augustus Waters’ line in The Fault In Our Stars?” He once read that book just to know why everyone seemed to take a liking in it. The book was okay, in fact, it was better than okay since it successfully made Harry shed a tear or two.

 “Geek.” Lucy smiled, “but I do smoke back then.”

Harry shook his head, “Seriously though, why are you here? Is this where you spend your time and that’s the reason why I never seen you before till that day we met at the vending machine.”

“Yeah, sometimes.” shrugged Lucy, “or I’m home, pretending I’m sick.”

“Wow, you really hate school.” replied Harry.

Lucy shook her head in disagreement, “Not really. I mean, yeah. School is not my favorite place in the world but I just like to be alone with myself. No one really understands me except myself.”

Harry bit the inside of his cheek as he thought of a respond, “They can if you let them.”

“I really don’t need anyone right now.” Lucy tucked away her journal since she thought there was no way she’s writing such a personal thing while she was having someone in presence, “Now tell me, Harry, why are you here? Are you here to give me a pep talk?”

“I’m in need of a friend.” Harry said with uncertainty. The reason he followed Lucy was to ask her to join in the quest on finding Kat. But he felt it was too soon to give the invitation just yet.

Lucy chuckled, “Is the friend being me? Just because we spoke during the weekends doesn’t mean I’m your friend therefore I’m sorry but I can’t help you.”

“Acquaintances, maybe?” After receiving a no from Lucy, Harry sighed, “Do you like mysteries? Treasure hunt? Que—” his words cut off by Lucy.

“I get it.” She nodded, “Yeah I like them. Why?”

“Do you want to help me?” Here goes nothing, Harry. “Like, I have made a deal with someone to find her within a month and I just need someone’s help that’s all.”

The raven-black haired girl tapped her chin lightly as she processed the offer, “Oh, it’s like a game of hide and seek, huh? I always win in the game, not to brag. Can’t you ask your jock friends though?”

Harry rubbed the back of his neck, “Uh, they’re kind of dumb in these kind of stuff,” which was half true, “and I don’t like telling this kind of stuff to them because they’ll make fun of me, you know.”

“Geek.” Lucy muttered the word again that made Harry annoyed a bit, “Okay, I like solving mysteries. Keep me posted about it.” She began to sling the strap of her backpack on her shoulder and stood up, ready to leave the field.

The green-eyed boy stood up as well to ask, “Wait, where are you going?”

“I got class to go to.” With that, she left the place and walks back into the school building to get ready for her favourite class, English.

-

It was lunch time and Harry was the first one to arrive at his friends’ usual table. He was waiting for Liam’s arrival so he can inform him about how he had taken Liam’s advice to use. He hoped that Liam arrived first before Louis like always.

As Harry waited for the cafeteria to fill in with the group of students, he saw Zayn and Lucy having a conversation near the vending machine at the entrance of the cafeteria. The same spot when he had met her for the first time. Both of them looked pretty serious about whatever they were talking about but one thing for sure, it looked like Harry needed to interview Zayn a bit more about his relation with Lucy.

“Harry?” Liam called for his best mate’s attention as he placed his tray of food, “Earth to Harry Styles.”

Harry tore his gaze away from the two to answer Liam, “I heard you the first time.”

“So you want to resume that discussion we had before first period?” Liam asked with his hands gripping the water bottle he had purchased to open it.

“I did what you said. Lucy is on the quest with me to find Kat.” He told eagerly knowing that he had accomplished something which is being friends with Lucy.

Liam nodded, “Not bad. You’re pretty into this whole finding Kat thing.”

Harry sighed with his eyes trailing to where the vending machine was situated, “Like I said, I don’t want to dye my hair.” 

To be honest, Harry was quite excited to start spending time with Lucy because as he finds Kat, he wanted to find the true Lucy behind the mysterious façade she’s wearing.