Chapter Sixteen - Help

~Chapter Sixteen - Help~

"Marley, I need to tell you something about Noah."

I jumped at the sound of Logan's voice. I turned to him, raking my eyes over his sleepy face. I thought he had been asleep due to the excessive amounts of morphine the doctors had given him to ease the growing pains in his ribs.

Slowly, I put my phone back in my pocket. Noah had replied five minutes ago, with a simple, Marley, please. Let me explain.

I hadn't answered, because I didn't know what to say. What he wanted me to do. It hurt too much, and I didn't know if I was ready to hear whatever it was Noah had to tell me.

So I never replied.

I tensed at the sound of Noah's name, but forced a tiny smile in order to convince Logan everything was fine. "What is it?"

"I don't know how to tell you this, but Noah lied to you," Logan said, eyes large and brown and innocent.

"How did he lie?" I asked, leaning forward, my interest successfully piqued.

"I know about your fake relationship."

I froze, my eyes going large and a blush filtering onto my cheeks in embarrassment. Looking back, I realized how immature I must've seemed, enlisting Noah's help to get back at Logan. He must think I was so petty.

"W-What do you mean?" I stuttered, not knowing how else to reply.

"I know you asked Noah to help you make me jealous," he deadpanned, not looking judgmental in the slightest. "That you started a fake relationship to make me want you back."

I looked down. "I know it was stupid, Logan," I muttered, cheeks flaming.

He laughed, and I raised my eyes to meet him. The laugh was deep and booming and genuine, a laugh I had always loved. But for some reason now it didn't have the same effect it had always had. I couldn't help imagining Noah's laugh, how happy and musical it sounded.

Stop it, Marley, I scolded myself. Just... Just stop.

 "It wasn't stupid, Mar," he replied, flashing me a knee-weakening smile. "I thought it was sweet, and it definitely worked."

"Really?"

He nodded solemnly. "Yep," he said, popping the 'p.' "It drove me crazy, actually."

  I couldn't believe it had worked! I thought the plan was ridiculous and petty, but it had worked? Maybe it wasn't such a terrible plan after all.

"But then... why did you say Noah lied? Did you mean about the relationship? Because I lied, too," I told him, feeling the need to defend Noah's honor.

He shook his head. "No, not about the relationship. I mean he lied about the reason he agreed to help you."

"He said... He said it was because he wanted to help me and make you mad," I admitted, entwining my fingers and staring at my lap, which was currently clad in dark-washed jeans.

Logan had told me before that he loved to see me wearing jeans. He hated when I wore shorts or tights or skirts, because he hated the idea of other guys being able to see my legs.

Before I had found it sweet. Now I found it rude and possessive that he thought he could control my wardrobe choices.

Can you blame him? I thought to myself. He doesn't want other guys checking you out. Not that they would check out a girl like you, but the thought is there.