Chapter Eight - Despair

~Chapter Eight - Despair~

At exactly 7:30 Saturday morning, I woke up refreshed and rejuvenated, ready to face the bright new day.

Unfortunately both Chaska and Ciara couldn't stay, so they had left about eleven last night. Neither seemed inclined to tell me what they meant when they asked how well I knew Logan. They said that I should ask Noah to tell me.

Which were my exact plans for today.

I didn't know what they meant when they said that he wasn't all he said he was, but I thought I might as well find out from Noah. Surely he'd tell me, right?

After I got up, I quickly dressed in jeans and a sweater, and brushed my hair into a chignon. I wasn't really worried about my appearance. It was just Noah. He'd seen me after camp-outs in the backyard, horror movie marathons when I was pale and about to throw up from fear, after I'd gone swimming and my hair had gone green from too much chlorine, and when I had no make-up and my most comfy pajamas. He didn't care.

When I traipsed downstairs after brushing my teeth and adding some lip-gloss, Dad was already up, cooking pancakes.

"Morning, Dad," I greeted, standing on my tiptoes and kissing him on the cheek.

He turned around, and his mouth quirked into an affectionate smile. "Morning, Mar. You're up early for someone who normally doesn't rise before lunchtime."

I smiled. "I need to see Noah. What are you doing up early, anyway? I didn't even hear you come in last night. What time did you get home?"

"About twelve-thirty."

"And you're still awake? That's, like, six hours of sleep! How are you even functioning properly?"

He pressed the pedal on the garbage bin and the lid flew up, revealing seven charred pancakes and what looked like what used to be a clump of sugar. He threw me a wry smile. "Guess I'm not really."

I laughed and ruffled his hair. "Alright, I gotta go next door. But, seriously, why are you up? Is mom home yet?"

He nodded. "That's why I got up. When she wakes up, I want her to be able to come down to a nice cooked breakfast."

I hope one day I can find someone who treats me as lovingly as my dad treats my mom. Who would be willing to get up early and cook me dinner, and who idolizes me like my dad idolizes my mom. I really lucked out in the parental department.

"Alright, well I'll be back. Save me some pancakes!" I said, walking towards the front door and exiting the house, before making my way next door.

When I got there, I flattened my sweater nervously with my hand and knocked quietly, in case no-one was awake.

But then my Aunt Grace opened it, and she grinned at me, before pulling me into a tight hug. "Marley, what are you doing here? You haven't been here in so long!"

Waves of guilt crashed over me. I really should've come around more often, I hadn't even realized how much I missed Matt and Grace until now. "I know! I'm so sorry about that. But I was wondering if I could maybe see Noah?"

Her eyebrows raised. "Noah? As in, my son, Noah? I thought you guys hated each other."

I laughed. "Him and I are slowly working things out. Do you mind if I see him, please? I can come back later if you want."

She shook her head and ushered me inside, closing the door behind me. "No, he's still asleep. But, please, feel free to wake him up."

An evil smirk crossed my face as I thanked Aunt Grace and walked up the stairs towards Noah's closed door. Even after all these years, I could've navigated the house with my eyes closed. I knew the house as well as I knew my own.