Chapter Fourteen - Heartbreak

~Chapter Fourteen - Heartbreak~

******Noah's POV******

I didn't mean to start the fight.

I had been on my way home, wallowing in self-pity at the fact that Marley and I weren't talking to each other, when I had spotted Logan flirting with another girl. The fact that Marley would choose that douchebag over me had sent my nerves on end. Couldn't she see how bad he was?

I had rushed over and clamped a hand on his shoulder, dragging him away from the bleached-blonde girl who was chewing gum obnoxiously and twirling a peroxide-curled tangle of hair around her finger.

Logan spun around, and an arrogant smirk had played around his lips when he saw it was me. "Well, look who it is. Didn't think I'd be seeing you again."

"Why would you say that?" I had snarled, my hands fisting instinctively at my sides as I stared into the cool, arrogant, lifeless eyes of Logan Hawkins.

"Aren't you and Marley over?" Logan said. "It wasn't like she even liked you in the first place. You were just a rebound, right?"

He knew he had hit a sore spot. I knew we only started this in the first place as a way of her getting back with Logan. What Marley didn't know was that I was with her just to sabotage their chances of getting back together. I knew how he treated her, and I was determined to do anything to make sure Marley wasn't hurt again. She deserved better than a heartless prick like him.

I know we're enemies, but she was once my best friend, and I still cared for her deeply. I didn't want her to be used again.

Which brought us here. Where I was now planning to kick Logan's ass for doing this to Marley when she was still obviously in love with this d-bag.

Logan stepped forward, obviously sensing he had hit me where it hurt. "But she wasn't a rebound for you, was she? You fell in love with her without meaning to. And it kills you deep inside that you know that she doesn't reciprocate those feelings. That she still loves me."

I thought back to the kiss we had shared two days ago. The kiss that couldn't be explained away by crowds and acting to be a couple. We had been alone. She didn't have to.

But she did.

And then she'd gone and taken it all back and broken my heart. Because maybe it was true. Maybe I had fallen for her. But there wasn't a goddamned thing I could do to stop it from happening. By the time I had realized, it was too late to do anything about it.

All of the pent-up frustration in me suddenly released, and next thing I knew I was pummeling Logan into the ground.

Eventually people had started to gather as the fight progressed. I knew people had camera-phones out and were yelling things at us and chattering excitedly, but it all seemed to fade away, taken over by a rage that could only be explained as protectiveness and utter jealousy. I threw punch after punch in anger, trying to express without words how much I hated him. How much I thought Marley deserved better.

I was just about ready to finish off the little piece of dirt when Marley had jumped in front of him, trying to protect him.

Protect him. The guy who had just been flirting with another girl moments earlier.

I was protecting her.

But did she care? No. She wouldn't step out of the freaking way and let me finish what I started.

I had seen her heart break, watched the way she regarded me with fear. She was scared of me.

I had scared off Marley Adams. A girl who had seen me brutally tackled in football games, seen me in tense arguments with my friends, seen me at my worst. And had somehow always been around.