Chapter Thirteen - Fear

~Chapter Thirteen - Fear~

Get ready for this, guys........

The next twenty-four hours passed by quickly. I managed to avoid all phone calls from both Logan and Noah. I hadn’t talked to Noah in two days, and it surprised me how much I missed him. It was like a hole in my heart.

It was funny that I hadn't talked to him in three years before, and now two days was sending me crazy. What was happening to me?

By Friday afternoon, I was ready for the weekend. Chaska and Ciara had decided it was time for an intervention. Apparently they couldn’t take anymore of my moping, so this weekend was dedicated to us. Sleepovers, movies, shopping, ice-cream, and a plan to get me back on track.

In a way, I was looking forward to it. I needed an intervention.

But things rarely work out the way you expect, don't they?

As the final bell rang, I quickly dumped my books into my locker and grabbed my jacket, putting it on. I headed towards the parking lot to meet Ciara at her car, when all of a sudden a group of hooting teenagers pushed past me and ran for the doors, effectively slamming me into the lockers painfully.

I cursed and rubbed my throbbing shoulder.

Wow, someone was eager for the weekend.

I sighed as more people hurried past me. I wondered why everyone was so excited. It was like it was Spring Break or something.

“Marley! Marley! Marley!” I looked up to see Chaska and Ciara sprinting towards me, going the opposite way of the crowds and trying to push through towards me. Both had red cheeks and wide eyes.

Panic welled up within me, and I rushed towards them, pushing in between teenagers in my haste to get to my two best friends.

“What?!” I asked, breathless by the time we reached each other.

Ciara panted and looked up at me with wild eyes. “It’s Noah,” she said in a panicked tone, pointing towards the doors that everyone was pushing out of.

I nodded and started running, also pushing through the crowds like everyone else. I didn't need to ask what was wrong. There was no time for that. An unspeakable fear had welled up within me, and I needed to make sure he was OK. The student body fell in a wave down the front steps and towards the parking lot.

I stopped at the top step, and my eyes widened in abject horror as I took in the scene before me.

Teenagers made a kind of circle around two fighters, casting bets and yelling at the two boys to hit each other. No one moved to stop it. No teachers were a round, not even a cleaner or groundskeeper.