Chapter Twenty-Three - Love

~Chapter Twenty-Three - Love~

Begin playing song when instructed. Link will also be attached in comment.

Enjoy, my lovelies... 

The next two weeks passed uneventfully.

I still felt heartbroken, and I withdrew from my family, friends and everyone else. I did my work, only spoke when spoken to, and I finally knew what heartbreak felt like.

I had always felt like those girls that cried from heartbreak were weak, but finally I knew what it felt like.

I missed Noah more than I ever felt possible, and it took everything in me not to call him.

I think the time when I realized I wanted him back was when Daisy came to talk to me.

It was at lunch, when I was dumping my books in my locker and getting ready to meet Chaska and Ciara in the courtyard that she came up to me. Her hair was tied back in a bun, and she wore a minimal amount of makeup, compared to her normal get-up.

"Um, Marley?" she asked, looking scared. "Can I talk to you?"

"What?" I asked, feeling my patience fray with Daisy. She was the last person on this earth I wanted to talk to.

She sighed and ran a hand through her hair nervously. "I just... I really wanted to talk to you about Noah."

I had already heard enough by this point, and snapped my locker closed. "Not interested," I informed her, barging past her.

She grabbed my arms, and her long fingernails sunk into my soft skin. "Wait."

I turned back around. "What?" I repeated.

"Please," she begged, and I saw something in her eyes that told me I should stick around and see what she wanted.

"Fine," I replied. "Go."

She looked around, searching for words. "Logan called me after you broke up with him that afternoon, and told me to go over and kiss Noah when you came in. He wanted to break your heart like you had broken his, and I was stupid. I hated you for taking Logan from me when I had taken him from you originally.

"So I did it. I said yes, and I went over. I know it was stupid, and I never should've done it. Because the truth is, I could see that he loved you. But I loved Logan, and I was willing to do anything for him, even if it meant destroying you and Noah."

She sucked in a deep breath and paused for a second, before continuing with the story. "When I went over, Noah looked shocked to see me, but he barely even wanted to look at me, let alone talk to me. But still, he took me up to the treehouse, and we talked.

"I came onto him, but at first he pushed me away." She looked deep into my eyes sorrowfully. "The thing is, Marley, he didn't want to be anywhere near me. He said that he couldn't do that to you. He loved you, and he never wanted to hurt you.

"I made him cheat. I knew I shouldn't have, but I didn't know what to do. So I came onto him, and I didn't let him stop until you came in."

"Why are you telling me this?" I whispered, eyes wide.

"Because," she replied, "I know that both you and Noah are heartbroken, not being together. And Logan and I caused that. At the time, I had no idea you two were truly in love. But after I did that, and you broke it off with him, and you refused to speak, I realized it was true. Noah is heartbroken, and I know you are, too. I've made a lot of mistakes in my life, Marley, but keeping two people who truly love each  other apart is definitely the worst thing I've ever done."