Chapter 23 - An Apology

                 Karin sat down, so her heart would be steadied. Sakura sat with her as well and observed her carefully. Karin was holding her heart and looking down on the ground. She took deep breaths in and out at separate intervals.

             “Would you like to go to the nurse?” Sakura asked.

             “No, it’s alright,” Karin responded. “I just need to relieve my spirit.”

             “I think you should though; your face doesn’t look well.”

             “I am okay.”

             “I don’t think so,” Sakura said sternly.

             “I am fine,” Karin added.

             “You’re not fine.”

             “I said, I am fine.” Karin was annoyed by Sakura.

             “Stop being stubborn; I know you are not fine!”

              “Stop pestering me already!” Karin exclaimed. “I know you are worried but I really am fine. I just feel…”

         Karin became distracted by the eyes she felt on her. Sakura noticed them as well. Sakura and Karin realized that they were the only ones sitting.

         A male teacher was standing beside them at the end of the fourth row. He had his hands behind his back, where a stick was peeking out. His face was cleanly shaved and his eyes were a dirty green colour. They darkened as they processed Sakura and Karin inside.

        The two girls stood quickly in embarrassment. The man called them out and directed them towards the front of the stage. Karin bit her bottom lip as she felt terrible. What a way to make an impression on her first day, she thought.

       Additionally, she was making a bad impression in front of her crush. Now, she could kiss having any luck with him, goodbye. Somehow, she felt like crying at that moment.

      The male teacher, lead them onto the stage where the Headmaster and student council members were. He stopped them in their tracks so they could turn and face everyone, while he walked over to Shoji and said something to him.

         The teacher made his way over to the girls with a microphone in his hands.

                   “These two will apologize for three things,” the teacher began.  He held up one finger. “One: for sitting when they were supposed to be standing.” He held up two fingers as he glared at Karin and Sakura. “Two: for speaking out loud when a person is addressing them.”

                     “And three…” He put up three fingers, “for disrupting our ceremony and others.”

          Karin held down her head when the man teacher pinpointed what they had done.            

                      “We apologize,” Karin said with a bow. She was already ashamed, so doing this meant nothing. She just wanted her apology to come across to everyone.

               “I apologize as well,” Sakura added as she bowed thirty degrees. She wanted the ceremony to continue so she could get through the day willingly. However, she could not let it go. “My friend is sick,” Sakura blurted out.