Chapter 1 - ✟ Shadow ✟

Chapter 1 - Shadow

2009 March 9

    The night was extremely chilly and windy. Silence pierced through the streets of Tengo in the country of Japan, as everyone was tightly wrapped up in their beds. They were fast asleep, except the Meadows’ residence which was occupied by a couple and their only fifteen year old daughter, Karin.   

     Karin could not get a wink of sleep because of her high fever which she caught two days ago. Despite this, her throat was still sore even after taking her medicine correctly.

    Violent coughs burned her heart with each passing seconds. She twisted and turned in bed as the heat made her sweat profusely. Feeling hot and miserable she kicked away the sheets on the bed and unbuttoned her first two buttons on her night gown.

 Even after doing this, she still felt uncomfortable so she lifelessly climbed out of bed. She slipped her feet into her bed-slippers before going downstairs for her medicine.

   The lights in the kitchen switched on automatically as she walked towards the counter where the medicine was and after picking it up, she strode towards the sink. She drew out a drawer beside the cupboard to take out a spoon which she washed off, before taking two teaspoons of syrup. Thinking that it was not enough, she had another teaspoon full and returned to her room.  

  She did not bother to cover herself with the sheet so she rested her head and against the pillow as she dozed off to sleep.

  About half an hour later, Karin woke up only to hear squeaking sounds coming from the hallway. She thought her parents were out there at first, but after the sound became repetitive, she knew something was wrong.

 Karin got up and walked towards the door to open it. She peered outside, but there was no presence. The hallway was dark and hollow; only the reflection of the moonlight from the window was a source of light. Her heart dropped as fear washed over her because there was nothing there.

  Were her ears ringing? Or perhaps the overdose of the medicine had taken its effect. That was impossible, she thought.

       She closed the door and as she walked towards her bed, she heard the squeaky sound again. Nevertheless, she was convinced that her mind was playing tricks with her so she ignored.

Bang! Bang!

 That loud bang was made on her door.  She came to a conclusion that her mind was not playing tricks.

  With a brave front she walked towards the door cautiously, taking her lamp with her. As she reached for the doorknob and twisted it, she swung the door open to face whatever was causing the ruckus. Nothing. There was nothing outside her room door.

  Karin quickly slammed her door and dropped into her bed with the lamp still in her hand. She dragged the sheet over her head for safety, even though it was hot. At this moment, she did not care because the sheet was her only hiding place. Now, falling asleep would be impossible with the thought of having a ghost in the house, which she was afraid of.