Chapter 9 - A Dead Man Tells No Tales

Play the song at the side as you read.

                                             Chapter 9 - A Dead Man Tells No Tales

  Karin walked up the stairs that followed to Sakura’s apartment room. She knocked on the door three times but there was no answer, so she tried the knob. As she twisted it, the door slowly pushed open. Karin stepped inside cautiously then she took off her shoes at the doorway before stepping inside.

       She walked around the room, which was a kitchen and dining room in one. Karin thought it was small and for Sakura to live here alone must have been rather lonely, she thought.  Yet Sakura always smiled happily although recently she started to become emotional. Karin wondered what it would be like when she actually leaves for good.

“Wouldn’t Sakura be lonelier?” she asked herself.

        Putting that question behind her she called out for Sakura, but there was no answer. She stepped towards the bathroom only to hear water running, so she thought that Sakura did not hear her because she was busy having a shower. She knocked again and called for Sakura once more but she still did hear a reply, so she took the initiative to open the door. When she did, she gasped in shock.

     Sakura was lying in the bathtub that was filled with bloody water. Her head was rested on her left arm which hung over the bath, while drops of blood slowly ran down her arm and unto the floor, creating a small pool. Karin immediately rushed to Sakura and took her out of the bath then placed her on the bathroom floor to lie down after turning off the tap. As Karin looked at her, she observed the state of her hands and legs, which had deep cuts engraved into her skin from a sharp object. Karin’s hands trembled and they became sweaty.

     “How could this happen to Sakura? Who did this?” she asked herself through a broken voice. She did not want to breakdown so easily when there might be hope, so she stretched out her arm to Sakura so she could feel her tonsil.

      She moved away the hair from Sakura’s neck then placed her two fingers at her tonsil, but there was no movement. Her heart dropped instantly. A trickle of water escaped from her eyes as she sat there and stared at Sakura. She began to sob while she drew back the tears. A pain in her throat broke her speech and as the pain grew, heavy drops of water escaped from her eyes.

        She cried her eyes out because she thought Sakura’s death was her fault. Even if it was not her fault, she knew she would still feel attached. The reason was the fight they had together before finding her here. If only if she had not come to Sakura’s house that morning. If only if she knew that the heated conversation they had, would have been their last. If only if she knew.

        Thinking back was worse than she thought as she only continued to cry even louder. She buried her face into Sakura’s chest and the wet clothes Sakura was wearing was cold as ice but for Karin, it was the warmest feeling at that moment.

      That feeling however was short-lived as she began to feel cold. This alone was enough to confirm that Sakura was actually gone, but Karin could not accept that.

     “Sakura…?” she called out as she raised her head. “Sakura. Sakura! Answer me!” she shouted in anguish. “Come on, answer me! Don’t go! Don’t leave me alone!” Karin began to shake Sakura’s body violently. “Don’t go…Please don’t go, Sakura…”  The tears just started to overflow even more, and then a feeling of anger washed over body.

“Who did this to you?” she asked Sakura. “Who? Tell me, who did this to you?” Karin laughed to herself as a saying came to her mind, “A dead man tells no tales.” It was true after all, but what was she to do?