The Beta's Mate Ch.24

Christmas was just two weeks away and the fall/winter semester of school was drawing to a close for the winter break. It was Friday, our last day before winter break started and Keri, Connor where enjoying a rare meal together –Mark often sat with us or myself with his friends so my group of three rarely had private talk,  although I kept catching Mark sending glances my way but I have no idea what they were about.

"So any plans for Christmas?" I inquire before taking a bit of my sandwich.

"My family is going north to a ski resort for Christmas and New Year's, we leave on the after next weekend and come back the day before school starts." Connor informed us and I frowned. He was guaranteed to see snow at a ski resort, I was disappoint because Holloway and Red River territories had yet to see a single snow flake even though it was mid-December and there wasn't any in the forecast. I loved the snow, one of the best feelings in the world was running through fresh snow in wolf form having it stick to your nose and fur or fly up and around you enchanting you with its magical feeling.

"Lana there will be snow by Christmas, there always is," Keri promised.

"It's going to suck if there isn't." I mumbled taking another bite of the sandwich, I hear giggling to my right and notice Connor trying to hold in his laughs. "What?" I demand.

"Just know that someone, somewhere will be enjoying snow on Christmas. Specifically at a ski resort." He teases me.

"Jerk." I retort giving him a shove.

"What are you doing to her Connor?" Mark asks coming to sit between me and Keri so he can have a straight on view of Connor.

Connor is still smirking, "Just bragging to Lana about how some people will see snow on Christmas and others won't."

I look to Mark and he is rolling his eyes, "You're still going on about that." I lifted my chin not feel the need to defend myself. "Well snow or not Lana, there's a party at our pack hours next weekend. The adults are going to the Red River for their own get together, the younger adults are going to Holloway. It's just the higher ranks though about a dozen people."

"Can Connor and Keri come?" I ask.

He glances at the two of my friends, they weren't normally invited to the things I usually was with Mark, I think he sometimes forgot about them. "Sure why not? It's Christmas." He agrees and I smile, I had him wrapped around my finger.

One week before Christmas, the group of us were gathered around the Holloway pack house living room enjoying casual conversation. The younger kids where in the lounge up stairs and were ordered not to bother us unless someone is dying. The group of young adults included, Jonathan, Caleb, Jenna, Connor Keri and a few others I didn't know as well. Nora was Jonathan's date for the night, although I have a feeling it was a little more than just a date. Jenna had brought one of her best friends who is a boy, Tanner. Kyle brought his date Mandy and lastly there was Henry and Georgia from Holloway and Riley and April from Red River. It was close to nine at night when Jenna suddenly jumped up.

"Okay everyone, Mark and Jon both came to me asking for me to plan this party because I am of course the coolest person here." She joked while pulling out cue cards from her dress pocket and people chatted excitedly. "So here is tonight's we are going to have a battle of the sexes. Boys versus girls, there are two more guys then girls since I am the convenor, so I have chosen Caleb to join the girls team because I thought he'd fit the role best." Caleb expressed his objection but rest of the guys started guffawing ruining any argument he had.

"Next part of the game. This," She says showing us a golden envelope, "Is the Golden Envelope, inside is the winning stage of the game. The game is finished when then envelope is opened and the task inside completed. There's a catch though, if the team is spotted at any point attempting to retrieve the envelope by the opposing team, the team retrieving the envelope will be penalized in the next challenge. The team will also be penalized if they are incapable of competing in the challenge. Any questions? No? Good, oh and Caleb I brought something for you." Jenna set the envelope down on the mantel of the fire place before she disappeared towards the front door for a moment, when she returned she was carrying a red bundle of cloth which she threw at her brother.