The Beta's Mate Ch.31

The ride to school the next day was miserable. I was not looking forward to dealing with people. I tried to fake an illness but my mother wouldn’t have it; I’d already missed enough school last semester. I barely managed to step off the bus before Caleb was at my side.

“Lana, I need to talk to you.” He spoke before I could even attempt to get away but not before I scowled at him.

“Well I don’t need to talk to you, nor do I want to. So good day.” I growl shaking off his hand that had stopped me from leaving and stomping away.

Keane was instantly at my side, “Trouble in paradise?” He asks innocently.

“What paradise, there is no paradise with Caleb. Just a winding roller coaster.” I grudgingly answer him.

“Well, you’ll be happy to know then that I picked a song for us for our assignment.” He stated wrapping his arm around my shoulder nonchalantly.

I instantly push him off, we weren’t like that and I didn’t need rumors being spread, “Oh really I thought we were going to choose together.” I replied pushing my frustration of Caleb to the side for now, Keane wasn’t involved with it so I didn’t want to drag him into it.

“Well we were, but then I was browsing the internet and came across the perfect song.” He smiles politely to people we pass as we walk along.

“And what song did you choose for us?” I inquire as we enter our first class.

“Wouldn’t you like to know? Sorry Lana, you’ll have to wait until class this afternoon the bells about to ring.” He teased and I scowled at him.

“What? No! Tell me quick!” I begged slapping his arm. “Is this so I can’t argue on the song? You’re going to tell the teacher without telling me first?!” I exclaim his response is a mischievous grin. I try to push him to tell me but he continues to claim the bell was about to ring. It didn’t ring for another ten minutes but he managed to keep the song a secret to me.

Throughout the day I noticed people kept their distance from me. Except for Connor, Keri, Mark and his mate, and of course Keane. By lunch it almost felt like the old days before Caleb and I had discovered our dysfunctional bond, except we had a few extras to add to mine, Keri’s and Connor small group of three.

“Hey Keane, has Lana ever told you about her racing?” Mark brought up out of the blue at lunch that day, I almost spit out my food but managed to keep it all in but I did give him a look that said “what the heck”.

“You mean like car racing? Like NASCAR?” Keane asks seeming genuinely interested, so did Caroline.

“Uhh, well not at that level exactly and I haven’t driven in a while.” I hesitate picking at my sandwich awkwardly.

“Yeah because her asshole of a mate messed her car up.” Connor mumble, I rolled my eyes at him. I was beginning to wish they wouldn’t bring Caleb up at every possible chance, it didn’t make anything easier. They all seemed to catch my change of mood and Mark being smart avoid the mention of Caleb anymore.

“Hey we should just skip the rest of the day and go down to the track.” Mark suggested, all the others agreed easily but once again I was on the brink, I’d missed so much school.

“Come on Lana.” Caroline pleaded, I bit my lip hesitantly when something caught my eye Caleb was watching me from his table on the other side of the cafeteria.

“Oh why not, what’s another half a day of school missed.” I shrugged putting on a smile, Caroline squealed and picked me up in a bear hug.

Caroline went with Mark in his car, and Connor didn’t want to leave his car at school so naturally Keri went with him and finally Keane was in the same boat as Connor. And that is how I ended up alone with Keane in his car. At first I was a bit uncomfortable, I barely knew Keane after all but Caroline was his sister Mark’s mate and Mark was one of my best friends, Keane wouldn’t dare pull anything.