The Beta's Mate Ch.14

As promised I went straight to the racetrack after school on Friday to make up for going to Caleb’s the other night. I practiced hard and they let me go at eight to go home to get ready for the party. I called Keri for emergency help to speed things up. I showered and blow dried my hair before she curled it for me. It was almost ten o’clock when we were putting the finishing touches on my makeup.

By the time I walked up to the Red River pack house the party that was in full blast. There were people on the front lawn dancing to the blaring music the front door was wide open and I could see more people through there. There were some many people it was overwhelming and I only recognized a few faces; but what thing I did know what that they were all shifters.

I shimmied my way through the door and began trying to navigate my way around the house through the bodies. Lights were flashing, music was pounding in my ears and there was so many smells, I became confused and lost in a house that I’d been in enough times that I shouldn’t be lost. Oh God, I thought, of course this would happen to me at my first party. I decided to stop moving and take a few deep breaths, take in my surroundings. So many other people had survived this experience before me; I will not be the one who did not survive.

Suddenly a pair of hands grabbed my waist and I could feel a body grinding into my backside. “Hey.” I shouted turning to face the guy, he wasn’t bad looking but I wasn’t here for that kind of stuff. “Keep your perverted hands off me.”

“Why you got a boyfriend?” He asked in a husky voice.

“No!” I cried before mentally slapping myself, I should have lied.

“Then what’s the problem?” He asked again approaching me again.

“Lana!” I heard someone shout my name, I whipped my head around to the sound and saw Mark watching me, my heart melted in relief as I push my “dance partner” away from me and quickly pushed through the crowd.

“Are you okay? Doesn’t seem like you like him very much.” He commented holding out his hand for me to help me the last of the way through the crowd and holding a red solo cup filled with who knows what in the other.

“I don’t like parties very much.” I replied glancing nervously at the people who surrounded us.

This made him chuckle. “They’re not so bad once you get used to them.” He assured me. “Come on all the good stuff is in kitchen.”

The kitchen was definitely less crowded like an exclusive part of a club. About twenty people were crowded around the large island in the middle and appeared to be playing a game, others were around the dining table playing another game. Finally some people I recognized. Mark guided me towards the island, Kyle and a girl named Jenny both moved over to give Mark and I room. I was handed my own cup of vodka as they all greeted me like we’d been friends forever, well most of them did at least. When I made eye contact with Caleb he only gave me a curt nod before turning back to the girl beside him and talking with her.

“I’ve never...” Jonathan started from where stood three people down from Caleb, apparently we were playing ‘I have never’. “I’ll go easy on you for this one Lana,” He said smirking at me, “I’ve never cheated on a test or exam.” Shit, I took a sip with fewer people then I would expect. Most of them looked at me with surprise.

“What ? It was in grade nine! I couldn’t remember a math equation so I peeked at Keri’s test.” I admitted blushing like mad.

“Harvard Havard, cheating on a test. Not as innocent as she looks.” They teased.

“Okay, okay just keep going.” I said laughing at myself.

I drank only twice in the first round and once again drank to Jonathan’s “Never have I ever”. I was actually enjoying myself; I was surprised how easily I was able to ignore Caleb who was shamelessly flirting with Monika in front of me. When it reached Caleb for the second time he paused and looked straight at me.