The Beta's Mate Ch.35

It was Monday morning and I hadn't heard anything from Caleb. Jon had informed me he was fine the day after the game, so I figured something had happened at the game. I'd continuously tried to call and text him, but he wasn't answering so I decided I'd give him a couple days and if he wanted to talk about what had happened, he would approach me. I wasn't going to push him; our relationship was too new.

But I got my wish within ten minutes of being at school. I had just stopped at my locker with Keane who had given me a ride since Caleb was a no go, when my locker was slammed shut almost smacking me in the face. "Caleb what happened? Are you okay?" I ask barely taking in his angry expression.

"When where you going to tell me?" He exclaimed throwing his hands in the air exasperated. I give him an confused look, before it registers in my mind what his is talking about. There was only one big thing I was keeping from him that would make him this mad and there was only one other person I told about it. I send my own glare to Keane, but he is no longer there beside me. "Don't you dare blame Keane. I'm glad he told me. Just tell me, when where you going to tell me that you were going to give yourself up to Maiken pack?" He demanded.

"Can we talk about this somewhere else, please?" I ask, he takes my hand and leads me to his car in the parking lot. We sit in silence in his parked car, I am almost to scared to talk with the way he is gripping the steering wheel.

"Talk." He orders.

I turn to face him, but he doesn't meet my gaze, "I wasn't going to tell you for a few weeks," I admitted and I see as he opened his mouth to retort angrily but I keep speaking quickly to keep up my defence, "I didn't want to ruin what we've just finally put together. I wanted to be happy with you for at least a little bit."

"Why do you get to decide things on your own?" He grits out.

"Because that's what you did the first six months of whatever this is we have." I jabbed angrily, he gives me a look that was disbelieving of what I just said.

"This is a relationship between mates, between you and me. It may not have started in the most conventional but we're working on it. But if you're going to hold the past against me it won't work." He tells me bluntly but I already know this.

"I know." I admit forgetting my pride and bowing my head in shame.

He takes my hand gently now, "There has to be another way and I'm going to find it. No matter what it takes I will not let you go to Maiken alone." He promises, if only it were that easy I think. His other hand finds it's way to my face and he tilts my head up so my eyes meet his. The are full of concern and sincerity, "I need to protect you, it's instinct. I can't do that if I don't know what to protect you from."

I lean forward and our lips meet, I cherish this moment while it lasts. He was going to be mad when he finds out my plans hadn't changed. I still saw no way out of this. I would go to Maiken pack before anyone else got hurt, but this time I wasn't going tell anyone.

Caleb came over for dinner that night, we played video games with Gavin until it was his bedtime. As my parents led Gavin upstairs I followed Caleb to the front door as he had homework to get home to. We pause just outside the door to say our goodbyes, only no one says anything for a few minutes. We may have made up but there was still some tension there, it was more obvious during dinner when not much was spoken between us.

Caleb finally turns to face me, his features are gentle, his mouth slightly open as the fog of his breath meets mine between us. His lifts his hand to hold my face, his touch delicate like he is holding glass, he looks over my entire face like he's trying to remember every detail. My brows furrow in concern as he watches me.