The Beta's Mate Ch.4

The next started out great! Mom was yelling at me from down stairs to get up and Gavin had the television way too loud. I groaned to myself. If this was a sign of how the rest of the day was going to go I wanted the end to come now! I practically fell out of bed and made my way to the bathroom, where I looked myself over in the mirror concluding this bed head was simply untameable so I brushed it out before putting it up in a messy bun. I brushed my teeth and put on a light layer of makeup. Returning to my room I stood back from my closet trying to find an outfit. I don’t mean to complain but sometimes I wish our school had uniforms so choosing what to wear wouldn’t be so hard.

“Lana what’s taking you so long?” My mother shouted from the stairs.

“I can’t find anything to wear!” I called back instantly regretting it as I heard her stomp up the stairs muttering an “Oh honestly.” This wasn’t going to end well. I was surprise when her walking patter changed halfway up the stairs from a grumpy stomping to a light, peppy step. Oh no.

She scampered right into my room like she own it, well she did technically but this was my part of the house. “Here wear this, Caleb won’t be able to resist you.” She stated holding out a white sleeveless dress with a pink floral print and a leather belt around the waist.

“This isn’t about Caleb–” I started but she was already gone. I reluctantly put on the dress, not for Caleb but because I was late. I then dug through my closet for my favourite pair of cowboy boots. They were inspired by the boots Woody wore in Toy Story with ‘AИDY’ written on the bottom.

I was coming down the stairs when I heard a honking from outside the house. Crap my bus was here. I doubled my pace reaching for my bag on the coat rack by the door, I shouted my goodbyes as I ran out the door and watch as the bus pulled away with the kids in the back seats laughing at my tardiness. I rolled my eyes and returned inside hot with embarrassment.

“I need a ride to school.” I said going to the kitchen and sitting on a bar stool beside my dad who was reading the daily newspaper.

“You can take the car for this morning; I’ll pick it up on my lunch.” My mother said as she poured Gavin a glass of orange juice, I widened my eyes in surprise maybe this day wasn’t going to be so bad after all if they were willing to lend me the car the morning after I drove away with no explanation to where I was going. I thanked them before hurry out to the car, I would be lucky if I wasn’t late.

Luck wasn’t on my side either just like the other day. I got halfway to school when one of my tires blew. I was able to get the car to the side of the road. I groaned and slammed my head on the steering wheel, this wasn’t happening. This was just a dream, I pinched myself and to my misfortune I didn’t wake up. Well if I wasn’t going to wake up I might as well do something useful. I reached for my phone in my pocket, I bet you can guess what I pulled out, No? A big, fat handful of nothing that’s what.

I tried to stay  calm, I really did but I have to admit I got a little angry when the foreign convenient store owner couldn’t understand that I needed the phone. I went to the next store over and called Stan.

“Yeah I’ll be there in a few minutes.” He replied when I explained to him what happened.

He was chuckling when he pulled up. “It’s not funny,” I whined stomping my foot, “The one time my parents let me drive the car to school and a tire blows.”

“I just think it’s funny you don’t know how to change a tire yet. You want to race you better know how to fix a car, it’s cheaper then always hiring a mechanic.” Stan laughed.

“I only trust a real mechanic to fix my car properly.” I retaliated.

“Then you better trust me when I say I’ll leave you stranded here for your parents to find you if you don’t believe I’m a real mechanic.” He countered.