Chapter 27: Mountain Cat

Marco sat down on the stool next to me.

"So what do you got for me?" I finished off my drink.

He passed over his tablet. I flipped through the next creature's information. It was a heavily armored, long-horned goat.

"Really?" I tossed it onto the counter. "What the hell is this?"

"You can't simply shoot this one," said Marco. "I think that's why Eadwyn had it brought in."

"Yeah, you can." I enlarged the image. "Right here at the neck and shoulder joints, and again here at the elbows and knees. You just have to be a good shot. So for me, this is pointless."

Marco shrugged. "I don't choose the creatures, Tobias."

I held my newly poured glass to my lips. "Yeah, you'd have me fighting rabbits and baby deer." I downed half of it. Setting it on the counter, I wiped my mouth. "I'm your ticket out of here without Helix sending you to the firing squad."

"Well, if the overlord asks for suggests, I'll see if I can work in rabbits and baby deer into the schedule."

Shaking my head, I chuckled. "I don't understand this." I skimmed through the information again. "This is going backward. Eadwyn knows that. I'll have this thing down before it even leaves the tunnel."

He shrugged and motioned to the bartender. "It's what they flew in. I saw the beast this morning. It rammed two men and send them to the hospital, so it is a little dangerous."

"Yeah, to an idiot," I scoffed. I tapped my finger on the goat's head. "What other creatures live in this area?"

"Um... let me see." He took the tablet and started opening different files. Marco started flipping through them. "Do any of these look interesting?"

I shook my head. "Lookup predators."

He did so. A couple bear mutations showed up.

"There." I tapped the image.

A photo of a horned mountain cat filled the screen. Spikes ran down its spine, and its fangs hung down low beneath his muzzle.

"That's my bet."

Marco shook his head. "These are basically extinct."

"Well, our ex-prince has bought himself one."

He shook his head. "I don't think so. Maybe one of these." Marco went back to the image of a bear with huge curved claws.

"I have a gun that can cut through all the fur. One shot and it would be dead." I went back to the armed cat. "This animal's hide absorbed wounds. I'd shoot it, and the bullet would be pushed out of the entry point and seal in a matter of seconds. A gun is worthless."

"Oh." He sucked in his lips. "Yeah, I think he might have bought himself one of these."

"That's not the problem."

Marco glanced at me.

"Stay away from the palace. I think he's onto you." I stood and waved at the bartender.

The man gave me one in return and a huge smile. Unlike before I arrived, his bar was completely full. It made me feel slightly better about drinking for free, though I wouldn't pay even if no one showed up.

"Tobias," called Marco after me.

Stopping, I glanced back.

"How will you kill it?"

I shrugged. "I'll figure out something. I always do."

Going to the elevator, I stepped inside and went to my floor. I really hoped a beautiful boy with silky black hair was waiting. But if not, I'd have tomorrow night to start making that boy remember something more than the way I touch him.