Chapter 13: Thanos

I sat quietly in the chair in front of a large mirror as a woman straightened my hair. Lord Eadwyn's reflection appeared. I cast my eyes down, remaining still when he touched my shoulder. The woman finished, and the lord dismissed her. He gathered my hair and placed it down my back. Tilting my head to the side, he ran his fingertip along the shaved portion.

"There doesn't seem to be any marks left." His fingers brushed against my neck.

I pulled away from him.

He laughed and gripped my upper arms. "The people have been getting anxious. It only took me three days to break Nyko."

I watched him through the mirror.

Eadwyn leaned down next to my ear. "I enjoyed him last night. I hope to enjoy you tonight." He kissed the side of my head.

Gritting my teeth, I clutched the seat of my chair.

"It's time to make your big debut, Raja. Let the people see the newest palace gem." His robes swished behind him as he walked across the room. "I'm sure it will boost morale among the soldiers if they have a chance to have a taste of such a beauty."

I could see him smiling at me in the mirror.

"Pick yourself out something nice," he said, before exiting the room.

Grabbing the straightener, I hurled it at the glass. It shattered, and cracks branched out across it. Breathing heavily, I folded over and covered my face. "Why?" I whispered. "Why did you have to die?"

Crying wasn't going to get me out of here. Tobias was dead. I was on my own. Taking in a calming breath, I sat up and looked out the window.

Noise was filtering up from below. A palace gem, reward for soldiers, a general's pet, maybe Nyko was right, being here was the same as Helix. I stood and adjusted my clothes. Walking to the cabinet, I opened the glass doors. It was filled with jewels.

This was Helix.

Picking up a necklace, I put it on and pressed my hand to the diamonds. It wasn't the same. I didn't want to wear these; they didn't make me feel the same excitement when Tobias would buy me a new collar. I slipped diamonds stud earrings into my ears and hurried into the hallway. A servant took me to the room that sat behind the balcony that Lord Eadwyn did announcements. I sat down by Nyko on the couch piled with pillows. He grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze.

"Last night?" I whispered, glancing over at him. "Did he... do..."

He sucked in his lips. "I've been with a lot of men, even some women."

I clenched my jaw and glared at the lord, who was prepping for his big speech.

"You don't have to protect me, Raja. I might look younger than you, but I've been alive a lot longer. I can handle myself." He patted my leg. "I'll be okay."

"Alright." Eadwyn fixed his robes and held his head high. "Let's greet our people." He looked toward us.

Nyko stood and pulled me to my feet. "It's not that bad, Raja. I meant what I said. There are many alternatives that are much worse."

We stepped in line behind the lord. The curtains parted, and he made his grand entrance to the cheers of the crowd. His image filled the screens placed throughout the area. He started his speech, and I felt my heart rate quicken. Nyko stood with his shoulders back and kept his eyes forward. He had changed. Over the years, he had either gain more confidence or had become a very good actor.

"I present the Devil's pet, Raja." The lord extended his hand to me.

I stepped forward and took his hand. The noise shook the podium. From my place at the overlord's side, I could truly see what my homeland had become. I had never imagined that so many people live in Sector 31. I had never left the boundaries of the village, though. All of this could of have been building toward this moment, even without Eadwyn, and I'd never have known.