Chapter 21: Demons

My head was pounding. This planet had great drinks, so after I killed Eadwyn and took back Raja, I was going to find out how they made it.

The elevator doors parted, and the staff scattered. It was too early to coddle people. They were just going to have to keep on believing I was the devil, and if I didn't get some food, I might actually kill someone. I went back to the bar and sat down.

It was a new man behind the counter. He stared at me, frozen in place.

"Are you going to ask me what I want?" I drummed my finger.

They had forgotten to bring me up anything last night.

"Yes. Of course, what... what would you like... sir?"

"Anything at the moment," I breathed, rubbing my eyes. "Just make it quick."

Once I fixed Raja's brain, he was going to be in so much trouble. He forgot me, well the nice me. Then again, when have I ever been truly nice. There should be some memory in that boy's skull about us being lovers. Groaning, I tugged at my hair. I should have been nicer to him.

"General."

I glanced at the doorway to see a man who clearly didn't belong. His skin was too light to be a native of Glek, and his features were larger. "Tell Eadwyn to fuck off. I don't care what he has to say."

"He didn't send me." He took the seat beside me. "Tequila."

The bartender set a plate of eggs, toast, and some kind of meat.

I took a bit and found it to be pork. "It's a little early to be drinking."

He threw back the shot that had been put in front of him. "Leave the bottle."

The bartender nodded and hurried off into a corner.

I reached around the counter and grabbed a glass from below. "Why are you here?"

"To avoid execution," he said plainly. He had another and grimaced at the strong taste. "I'm a draft dodger, from Taris," he quickly added. "The more advance this place gets the more men Eadwyn needs. He recruited me awhile back."

"So now you want to betray him?" I shook my head. "If you're looking for any help from me, forget it. I kill traitors. Not team up with them."

"Look," he turned to me. "Helix is coming. Whether it's in seven months or a couple years. They will come, and this place will go under. Even if the prince manages to escape, Helix will put a bounty on his head, and anyone with him will be deemed shoot on sight."

"Ex-prince," I corrected. "Taris is now under Helix control."

"I'm not asked for anything more than a pardon. No money, or status, a simple pardon. I just want to go back to Taris and live my life. My family is there, and I just want to go back and provide for them. That's it."

I arched a brow. "How noble, for bullshit. If you're so set on providing for them, then you shouldn't have left. A soldier made a decent wage in Taris from what I hear." I poured a shot for myself.

"I make an even better one working for Lord Eadwyn. No suicide missions required.

"Not yet," I said with a smirk.

"With the way your soldier slaughter the rest of the Taris forces, I'd say I made the right choice," he replied. "Everything I earn, I send back to them, but since Helix took over, I can't transfer the money anyone. Everything's been blocked."

"We're making Helix a lifeline," I replied, annoyed. "The planet caused enough problems. They'll learn to depend on the empire or fall. Doesn't matter which happens first." I brought my glass to my lips.