xvii. what a mess

"oh memories
where'd you go?"

Farkle left long before Cory and Topanga ever got home with Auggie and Ava, but he did mention wanting get everyone together down at Topanga's, which Riley agreed to.

"Riley! We're home!" Riley heard her mother yell from the living room.

"Okay!" Riley yelled back.

Riley shut her laptop and slid it back under her bed. Riley jumped off her bed and walked to the living room to visit her parents.

"How was the park?" Riley asked, faking her smile.

"It was good. I'm sorry you couldn't come, Honey. Just.. You know," Topanga looked at her daughter sympathetically.

Riley forced a bitter smile,"I know."
***
When Farkle reached the Harts' apartment, he didn't expect Shawn to answer the door.

"Oh - hey, Shawn. Is Maya home?" Farkle asked.

"Yeah, yeah. She's in her room. I assume you know where that's at, right?" Shawn asked.

"Yeah, yeah," Farkle turned to leave but stopped himself."Hey, Shawn?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I ask why you're staying here and not with the Matthews'?"

"I was here pretty late last night, and Katy ended up letting me stay, considering it was almost three a.m."

"Oh. Okay."

Farkle walked down the familiar path to Maya's bedroom and knocked.

"Come in!" Hollered a lighter-toned Maya.

Slowly, Farkle poked his head through the door. When he stepped into full view, Maya squinted at him.

"Your name is.. - don't tell me! - Fr..ank?" Maya asked, clearly uncertain.

Farkle chuckled,"It's Farkle. Don't feel bad, though. It's unusual."

Maya giggled softly. Farkle joined Maya on her bed.

"So.. You don't remember anything? At all?"

Maya shook her head.

"No, but you could always tell me about myself," Maya offered. Farkle gave her a small smile.

"You see that pencil drawing up there on your wall?" Farkle asked, pointing to Maya's drawing.

"Yeah."

"You drew that."

"I did?"

"Yeah, I was right there when you did," Farkle stood up facing Maya.

"Can you tell me about it?" Maya asked, looking up at Farkle, a hopeful look on her face as she pulled her legs to her chest, resting her chin on her knees.

"Me, You, Riley, and Lucas had gone to the library - an assignment from Mr. Matthews to 'connect' with each other - and we were sitting on the window seal. You had the pad of paper in your lap, and you drew what you saw. That's what happened," Farkle explained, gesturing to the paper.

"I.. Did.. That?" Maya asked, obviously still not being able to fathom her talent.

"Yeah, you did, Maya. You've got a real talent. Art's something you were really passionate about," Farkle said with a sad smile, the mattress giving into Farkle's weight as he sat next to Maya.

"Oh," Maya whispered."Farkle?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you tell me about our friends?"

"Of course. Well, first there's Riley. She's weird, goofy, and unique. That's what we all love about her. She loves to paint purple cats. She has more hope than anyone I've ever met, which can be good and bad at times. Riley has hope for the little planet Pluto. She believes in it so much. And she walks like a baby deer, like one just learning to walk. And.. I think she still loves Lucas. I don't really... Know anymore

Then there's Lucas. He's our master of Tombstone The Bull, which he mastered when we all went to Texas after you and Riley signed him up to ride Judy The Sheep, which he fell off of, but got transferred into the adult devision for being too old..."

Over the next hour, Farkle recalled his every memory that involved their friends to Maya, who sat and listened patiently. When he finished, Maya spoke up,"I wish I remembered all of this."

Farkle sighed,"Me too."
***
A/N: short markle-y chapter i know :((. anyways, thanks for all the love i've been getting. love you all <3 <3
much love, peaches xx