viii. pushes and pulls

"lost in
darkness."

"WHAT?" FARKLE asked again, not sure if he heard them right

"We're taking a break," his father said simply.

"Oh," was all Farkle could manage before both his parents left the room, most likely to get away from each other.

Farkle stood, rooted in place for a moment before he just sat on the ground, numbness sinking in. My parents are taking a break. Just get a divorce already. His phone vibrated in his pocket. Absentmindedly, he pulled out his phone.

Freak Face Friar
What just happened?

I have no idea. Farkle thought to himself. What did just happen? First, Riley and Maya. Now his parents... Should I tell him? Farkle thought for a second. Yeah, I should. So, Farkle typed,"My parents are taking a break." and hit send. Farkle unlocked his phone and went to the group chat, the one that included Zay.

"I know that after what just happened we all may not be on the best terms atm, but I felt like I should tell you guys this. My parents say they're taking a break. Idk if they'll get divorced or not."

Farkle hit send, not expecting a response from anyone. He soon sent a similar one to Smackle.

***

Riley sat at her bay window, trying to figure out what had just happened when her phone buzzed. She picked it up, seeing a text from Farkle, but before she could unlock her phone to read it, there was a knock at her window. She looked up. Lucas. Riley pursed her lips before letting him in, giving him an inquiring look.

"Lucas," Riley started.

"Can I talk to you?"

"Of course."

"What was that, Riley?"

The fight. Of course he wants to talk about the fight.

"I had had enough, Lucas," Riley answered honestly.

"Enough of what?"

"Enough of being treated like a little defenseless girl. I'm not stupid. Everyone loves Maya. I do. But sometimes it feels like everyone prefers her."

"Oh," was all Lucas could say."I like you, Riley. I really do."

Riley scoffed. She was so sick of hearing that.

"You don't, Lucas. It's Maya you like."

"Riley, that can't be the only thing," Lucas argued.

"It's not. I know it's not. Maybe it's was that she was comparing me to the man that walked out on her and she knows that I never would."

"She was scared to lose you."

"She was scared to give me more time. Lucas, I need time."

"For what?"

"I just told you."

Riley watched as the realization washed over Lucas' face. Texas. Brother and sister.

"Is that why you said we were brother and sister? For Maya?"

"Yeah. I want her to be happy, even if it means stepping back."

"I don't think that's how it works, Riley. When you said that at Texas — that we were brother and sister —, did you still have feelings for me?"

"When I said that, I guess so, yeah."

"What about now?"

Riley thought for a moment. Did she still have those kind of feelings for Lucas?

"I don't know."

Lucas' face crumbled a bit.

"Do you still have any kinds of feelings for me, Lucas? Did you ever?"

"Now? I don't know. Did I ever? Of course. I've told you that."

"Actions speak louder than words, Lucas. I see how you are with her. How you look at her," Riley said quietly.

Lucas sighed.

"I'm sorry for any pain I might've caused you, Riley. You deserve someone great."

Riley managed a small smile. Before answering, Riley gave Lucas a kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you, Lucas. You do too."

As Lucas began to climb out her window, he stopped and asked,"Did you get a text from Farkle?"

"Yeah, I did. I was about to read it when you stopped by. Why?"

Lucas looked at her, his green eyes boring into her brown ones. His face was grim.

"I'd read it now. I'll see you later," Lucas said, and without another word, he was gone.

Riley furrowed her brows, but obliged.

Sparkly Farkle-y 😊💖
I know that after what just happened we...

Riley unlocked her phone to see the rest. The blood drained from her face.

"Oh no," Riley whispered.

She grabbed her coat, slipped into it and her boots, stuck her phone into her pocket and went to tell her parents where she was going and why.

***

The door bell rang. Farkle dragged himself to his feet, being the only one home to do so. He sighed and opened the door to Riley Matthews.

"Riley," he started,"what are you doing here?"

"I just got your text. I'm sorry about your parents," she said in sincerity.

"It's alright. It would've happened sooner or later. You didn't need to come."

"I did, Farkle. I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"I'm okay."

Riley raised her eyebrows.

"Really?"

Farkle broke her eye contact, and focused on the wall.

"C'mere," she said, wrapping him in a hug.

He gratefully took her embrace and breathed her in, the only thing that made sense in the world.

"Things'll be okay," Riley murmured against him.

I really hope so.

***

1k reads! Thank you guys!! That's awesome! And if anyone wants to possibly know anything about me, I have a rant/random book over on idkimrllynerdy which is my other account. And I can't get the song to put in the media so check Playlist for it!
Read, comment, vote, enjoy <3