ii. ❛ IN WHICH SHE'S HIS PRINCESS ❜

WHEN RILEY WOKE THE NEXT MORING, THE LACK OF EXCITEMENT WAS EVIDENT IN HER BODY. Had it always felt like that? Riley rolled over on her back, not sure of the answer. She grabbed her phone.

Nothing.

"Riley! Riley! Riley!" Auggie exclaimed happily as he ran into her room.

Riley sat up and forced a smile for her brother. She choked down her bubbling angry, not wanting explode on unsuspecting, innocent Auggie.

"Hi, Auggie," Riley said, trying to keep her voice up-beat and happy. She didn't want to give herself away. Auggie might've been young, but he could see right through the people he cared about.

"Did I wake you up?" Auggie asked innocently.

"No, you didn't," Riley continued smile, but it slowly became genuine.

"Oh okay. Mom says breakfast's ready."

"Go on down, I'll be there in a bit."

"Okay!"

Auggie ran back to the kitchen. Riley's phone buzzed, slightly startling her. In the back of her mind, she excepted to see another hateful message, though she hadn't received one in months. Still, it frightened her. Thankfully, though, it was just Farkle, asking what time she wanted to meet up.

Quickly, Riley began to type. She suggested three.

Riley threw the covers off and walked downstairs, still feeling as if she was weighed down by some unseen force. Riley stopped before the doorway and and made sure to force a smile. She didn't feel like answering the suddenly difficult question of Are you okay?

"Morning," Riley said simply.

"Morning', Honey," Topanga smiled at her first born.

"Can I hang out with Farkle in the park today?" Riley asked as she sat down across from Auggie, as she hadn't asked the night before.

"I don't see why not," Topanga sat the food down in front of Riley. Normally, it would've looked good. Normally, she had an appetite.

"Thanks."

Riley began to force herself to eat the food her mother prepered. She didn't want to alarm her mother. Soon, silence fell upon three of the Matthews. That is, until, Auggie spoke up, rousing both females from their own devices.

"Where's Dad?"

"Dad had to go to a school board meeting today, so it's you and me, Bub!"

"And Ava!"

"And Ava! Yay."

Riley couldn't help but chuckle at her mother's pained smile. 'Good luck' Riley mouthed. Topanga winked. Riley finished her food, and on the way to put her things in the sink, she dropped her plate and glass. The glass shattered, glass going in every direction. Topanga rushed to her daughter's side.

"Riley, Riley, stop—," Topanga started.

"Oww!" Riley exclaimed as glass cut its way into her flesh.

Blood began to pour from her hand. Tears sprung to her eyes, but she didn't let them fall. Topanga herded Riley to the bathroom, and in no time, her wrist and part of her hand was wrapped in white, slightly stained red.

"Will you need help getting dressed?" Topanga asked.

"No, I got it. Thanks, Mom."