i. ❛ IN WHICH HE'S SORRY ❜

RILEY MATTHEWS SAT HER BAY WINDOW. Her chin was rested in her hands. She was waiting for Farkle Minkus to crash through her window, signaling the beginning of their study secession. The homework had been terrible lately, consuming the majority of Riley's nights. Riley didn't mind, though. It gave her something else to think about for awhile. Plus, she could hang out with Farkle alone. Sure, they hung out with their tight knit group of friends, too, but it was never just Riley and Farkle. So, Riley didn't mind all of the homework.

There was a tap on her window. Riley looked up. In her view sat none other than Farkle Minkus. His chestnut colored hair was slightly disheveled, and blue eyes seemed to dance. Riley smiled at him, opening her window. He jumped in next to her.

"Hey, Riles," The genius smiled at the brunette.

"Hi, Farkle. You ready to study?"

"Actually, Riles, can we do something else? Like just talk?"

Riley nodded,"Yeah, okay."

She watched as the genius shifted in his seat. His hands were fiddling in his lap. There was something on his mind.

"I'm sorry," Farkle blurted out.

Riley's eyebrows furrowed.

"Why? You haven't done anything wrong."

"I feel bad about Lucas and Maya being all couple-y around you. You..You do still have feelings for Lucas, right?"

This again. Riley had had feelings for Lucas Friar since she fell into his lap that fateful day all those years ago. They were barely teenagers then. They were sixteen-going-on-seventeen now. But, after Riley found herself in a triangle with the two people she loved most, Lucas picked Maya. It would always be the Blonde Beauty. It would always be Maya Hart and Lucas Friar. Always.

Riley sighed, running a hand through her hair,"Of course I do, but Maya's happy and that's all I care about. How's everything with Smackle?"

Farkle gave Riley a small smile,"We're good."

The two talked for the rest of the evening, jumping from topic-to-topic. They could always talk to each other so easily, something Riley and Lucas initially struggled at. Riley wondered what she and Lucas would be if Farkle hadn't let Riley bottle up her feelings. They were slowly killing her.

"Farkle?" Riley asked, making the boy look up from his English homework.

"Yeah, Riles?" Farkle asked.

She smiled at the way he said Riles. Normally, she only let Maya call her that, but, lately, she found herself liking the way it sounded coming from Farkle more and more.

"Can we go to the park after school tomorrow?"

He smiled at her.

"Anything you want, Riles."

. . .

hella short but idc!1!!1!! the next chapter will be hella cute

[ UNEDITED ]