Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN

She called Conrad who was in panic since he was supposed be with her twenty four seven but Ken had somehow managed to swipe her without him knowing.
"I am okay Conrad I will wait for you at the entrance. And again am sorry id didn't inform". She said through the phone
She moved to the entrance of the restaurant and waited by the pavement. Taking out her phone she went through her emails but as she was stilling so she couldn't help notice as little boy being scolded by his mother not far away from her ran passed her into the road trying to get away from his mother. Right there to her left a truck came at full stop and he little boy had stopped right in the middle of the road tears streaming down his face.
Joanne thought fast, she ran as fast as her legs and pencil dress could allow her, and grabbed the little boy in her arms pulling him back as has the heavy truck beamed passed them the wind force pushing them back. Joanne turned the boy landing roughly back first on the rough tarmac, the boy safely in her arms.
She got up crossed the road with little boy and handed him back to his heavily pregnant mother who was in tears, thanking Joanne for saving her little boy. After a minute the small crowd dispersed.
Her phone rang again, answering it, Conrad informed her that he was running late but would be there in five minutes. She waited calmly brushing dust off her dress when a group of ten young ladies came at her scary anger glares directed at her. Joanne turned to look behind her, surely those looks were not for her, she didn't have any enemies in this new city.
"Hey whore", one of them called as they reached her.
"Pardon me!
"Yes you heard her you slut, gold-digging whore. Have you no shame, stealing another woman's man", another one stated coldly
"Well this is for Olive", the third one with red hair uttered slapping her cross the face.
"You better stay away from Kenneth Hunter; he belongs to Olive. Stay away", she said as the rest them pushed her between them, others slapping her back while the others pulled at clothes and hair.
Everything happened so fast she didn't even have time to react. Joanne felt the tears in her eyes. Was there no one seeing this, couldn't anyone help her. They were still tossing her around when two waiters rushed from the restaurant just as Conrad pulled up, getting out he ran to her as the gang of girls ran away. One of the waiters ran after them.
Conrad helped her to her feet just as the waiter returned informing them that the girls had gotten away. Again a crowd formed around them, taking photos, whispering.
"Is she the Hunters' bride? How could she be out here alone?
Joanne fought back the tears; she couldn't let them fall in front of all these people. She tugged at Conrad coat. "Can we leave please am getting late for work".
"Yes ma'am", he said guiding her to the car as more people took more photos. In the car she let the tears fall uncontrollably, the stress of being cornered in to the engagement, Kenneth ignoring her; it all came back in loads. Luckily Conrad didn't interfere with her moment of sorrow but her phone was going off in her bag, ignoring it she refused to answer it or even know who was calling.
Mathew was in an important meeting across town when he wife called his cell none stop, deciding to answer his beautiful spoilt wife. Horror spread across his face at what he had heard, he immediately called off the meeting, informing them that he had a family emergency to take care of.
He was driven back to Hunter towers where found his daughter in law in her office with the head of finance busy going through their current accounts. The reddish bruise on her light skin cheek evident, her eyes swollen and red even the makeup couldn't hide the bruising. Poor thing where the hell was Kenneth when this happened he thought to himself
Mathew entered the room ignoring her assistant, "dear".
"Mr Hunter, your back". Joanne acknowledged standing a flitting smile on her face.
"Zander you're excused whatever you were discussing will be finished tomorrow". Mr Hunter spoke
"Yes sir. If you will excuse me, good bye madam Malaika", he finished leaving the room
"Get your bag am taking you to the doctor then back home, you need to rest and I need to talk some sense in to that son of mine", Mr Hunter finished waiting on Joanne to move.
"Mr Mathew it wasn't Ken's fault please don't be mad at him and I don't need to see a doctor am okay, all I need is a hot bath and some rest".
"Okay but am taking you home, if I don't Jessica will have my head, come on get your bag". They left the office and in no time they walking through the front door.
Rosa immediately hugged muttering kind words to her, only for her to flinch in pain after the bruise on her back was grazed.
"Am sorry, have you been to the doctor's yet?
"She refused see a doctor", Mathew replied.
"That's because you never listen", Jessica muttered as she entered the living room with Dorothy and Cindy.
"Sweetheart" Mathew called out to his wife who reached out to Joanne hugging her tight but the young lady flinched on contact.
"Oh am so sorry, don't worry I called doctor Fox his on his way".
Joanne couldn't argue with Jessica because she too was feeling the discomfort and pain. Joanne greeted her mother and sister then excused herself. She went to her room and got ready for a bath but before she could step in the tub Rosa entered her bathroom with a tray of oils with.
The old lady insisted on helping her, she drew new bathe for her and helped massage the numerous bruises on her back with the medicinal oils.
Thirty minutes later she was done with her bath and was dozing off when a knock came at her door. "Come in", she called tightening her robe and sitting up in her bed.
"Hey sweetie the doctor is here", Jessica said guiding a gentleman the age of Kenneth in to the room. He examined her bruises, took her blood pressure and finally prescribed something for the pain then left leaving her to take a nap before dinner.