Waning Moon-Chapter 8

He nuzzled my neck softly, lovingly , but there was something dark and hungry about the way he did it.

"William, back away from the princess," one of wolves barked. I recognized the voice as Will's father, Sam. I shuddered from his cold voice, and the way Will's arms tightened around me. It felt amazing to see him alive, but the way the others were acting, had my hurt beating like a drum.

"Leave, all of you," he growled back, "I want to be alone with Macie," 

"You know we can't do that Will, you broke the law, now come with us,"

"What law," I squeaked, trying to turn in Will's grasp. His arms tightened even more, becoming restraining instead of comforting.

"Don't answer," Will threatened, just as his father said, "he killed a human,"

Will bellowed in anger at his father but there was no sound of acknowledgement of Will's fury. Except for the small sobs that escaped me.

"Don't listen to them, Mace. They don't understand," Will cooed, except with the fury still in his voice it sounded like an order. But I couldn't control my quick breathing and weeping.

"Why Will? Why would you kill someone?" I asked him, looking up at him with a pleading expression. I had to know what would drive my sweet, caring best friend to such ends. Werewolves used to hunger for human flesh, but that was only during the full moon, during which time they locked themselves up. The rest of the time they had complete control over their hunger and considered themselves more human than monster-one of the reasons they fought against the vampires. If a werewolf killed a human, he was considered to have turned against nature and would be banished from the Pack. This meant that they would turn their back on Will, would banish him and leave him to fend for himself against the vampires and world that had no place for him. He knew this, would have been force to administer this as Alpha, and yet he ha done exactly what he had learned his whole life was a taboo.

"I had to Macie, to come back to you," he looked into my eyes, begging for me to understand, but i didn't. I didn't understand how our promise had forced him to take a life.

"Macie, they attacked us, we had no chance of winning. I was so weak, I only barely managed to get away. But I almost died...and then a man walked by. He was a hunter mace, he was going to finish me off! I had to protect myself! I had to regain my energy...to get back to you,"

I shook my head, clenching my eyes shut and refusing to look at him. No, no this couldn't be true. The will I knew would rather die than take a life, would rather die than hurt anyone else. Even if it meant hurting me...right?

"Please Macie, you have to believe me. This isn't bad, really. It was in self-defense, I won't get in trouble for it," 

"Really?"  I tried to turn to look at Will's dad for confirmation, and this time Will let me. Sam nodded at me, but his eyes were still glued to his son who kept me in his stony embrace.

"But...then...why are you going take him away?" I whimpered, turning back to Will. His eyes were sad, but there was something else in his warm chocolate gaze...something dark.

"He's still dangerous Mace. He's had a taste for flesh now and the full moon is in a couple of hours. We need him as far away from you as possible," Sam explained hurriedly while taking a step towards us. Will pulled us back.

"Why from me?" I wondered. I was just as magical as the rest of them, and if possible less human. I was completely from the earth, and they were all at least half human.

"Because," Will whispered in my ear sending a shiver down my spine, "You are the only thing that can sate my hunger,"

"Wh-"

I was cut off as Will dug his canines into my shoulder, a deep growl sounding in his throat as he gulped down my blood. I tried to scream from the pain, to escape his now restraining grasp, but he was too strong, and I was too weak. All the days of ignoring pleas for me to eat and drink were coming back to hit me hard. In just one gulp, I was too weak to fight Will.

But luckily the other wolves were still strong enough, although it took all four to dispatch him from my shoulder, and even then he fought them every inch of the way as they dragged him, snarling and reaching for me with blood-thirsty eyes, out of my room.

I slumped to the floor, ignoring the female wolves who crowded around me with food and bandages, as I held a hand to my wounded shoulder, and sobbed out the pain in my wounded heart. I had lost Will...again.