Horrible News

She placed the plate in front of me. The first thing i saw was the bacon. I licked my lips before stopping. Im a vegetarian. I went to move the bacon off my plate when i realised, i was a vegetarian when i was with Quentin, he suggested for me to be a vegetarian and so i did to make him happy, but I'm not with Quentin anymore, and he is a jerk. I smile picking up the crispy short cut bacon. I shoved it in my mouth, a small sliver of drool escaped my lips, i did even realise i had a watery mouth. Brook giggled at me. "Enjoying the bacon i see" she said as she flipped her egg.

"Quentin turned me into a vegetarian when i was with him because i was always complaining about meat being pink. I like my meats well done and bacon crispy" i picked a the last bits of the meat on my plate.

"Well now that you are not with him, you have the freedom to eat as much meat as you want" she came over to the bench top and leave don her forearms staring at me.

"That sounds great, Im going to persuade my mum to order meat lovers tonight" i said. Brook smiled. "What?" i asked, her smile spread wide on her face, her cheeks went a light shad of pink. "Just looking at you" she told me. I leaned forwards across the bench.

"Why?",

"Because you're beautiful" she said smoothly. I leaned over the bench quickly to her and planted a kiss on her lips. "You are too" i replied to her. Not even five seconds after i heard the door creak open. Standing in the doorway was Cassidy, her dark hair a mess on her head, her face red and her eyes puffy with tears. "Cas, oh my god whats the matter?" Brook questioned hurrying over to the door. Cassidy grabbed hold of Brooks arms and collapsed. I went over to help. We pulled Cas over to the lounge and sat her down. She was shaking horribly, tears stained her cheeks, fear in her eyes. "What happened? Cassidy Brimshaw tell me what happened" Brook said in a stern tone. "He-he tried to rape me- he tried to rape me-" she started to ball her eyes out, burring her face into brooks shoulder.

Brook and i met each others eyes worryingly. "Who?Who tried to?" Brook said, again in a stern voice. "A guy around the corner, he was in all black, i couldn't tell who he was. I got out of his grip and ran here as it was the closest place i knew" she quivered. "Ok, ok,its ok Cas, you're with us, nothings going to happen" Brook murmured to her. "Do you want to stay here for a while?" Brook asked her. Cassidy looked up at her and nodded. "Ok, you lie down, i'll get you a blanket" Brook said sliding her off of her shoulder. Brook got up and pulled a dark blanket from the cupboard around the corner and tucked it onto Cassidy, her crying slowing to a sob.

A buzz sounded on the kitchen bench. I walked over to my phone, my mum texted me.

Mum: Where are you? Need you home now! Have news for you.

I blinked hard and put the phone in my pocket. "Brook" i said, she looked at me. "My mum needs me home, talk to you tonight?" i said. She nodded. I planted a kiss on her forehead and walked out the door quick.

***

I could hear my parents yelling even when i was walking up the driveway. As i opened the door, i saw them standing screaming at each other, they suddenly stopped and faced me. "Whats going on?" i asked slowly shutting the door behind me. My mum looked at me slowly."Your father and i are getting divorced" my mum said, it really wasn't a surprise to me, i knew it was coming. "You are going to have to decide on which of us you will be living with Shay" my dad said rubbing his forehead with his fingers. "Ok, where are you moving?" worry started rising inside of me. My mum walked out of the room and came back with a piece of paper in her hand. She handed it too me and i looked down at it. It was a card showing a house, property and location. But where it was struck me hard. "Port Steel?" i said, anxiety made its way back to me. "But thats all the way on the other side of the country" My voice raised quickly.

My dad took a breath in. "Im moving to Williamburra, up the coast. Its a three hour drive away" he said. "B-but how am i going to get to school? I have the HSC coming up and i have been studying for days, i have friends here who i can't leave. I have to stay here!", i yelled a theme both.

"Well than you are going to have to decide" My father said, his face was changing to anger once again. No! No i can't leave! My heart rate pick dup quickly, i felt sick to my gut, i started heaving in air, a strong pull weighing a my chest. I clutched at my throat. My mum noticed and quickly led me into the bathroom shutting the door behind her.

I sat down on the toilet trying to catch my breath, calm my self down, none of it was working. "Shaylee, Shaylee, sh,sh,sh" my mum repeated. "This is about more than just friends and exams isn't it?" she asked. I nodded my head, i felt my throat tighten. "Is it about Quentin?" she knows i broke up with him, why would she ask that. I shook my head. "I-I-i have a-" was i really about to tell my mum about Brook, whilst on the toilet having an anxiety attack? I took one big deep breath in preparing for any reaction. I looked her in the eyes and said it "I have a girlfriend", it was out. I didn't know if it was relief of worry i felt. She was silent for a second, a frozen expression on her face that i couldn't quite make out. "Brook?" she asked. That was quick. I nodded.

"Ok, ok. You know what?" she said. I looked at her confused.

"remember your godmother Darny?" memories flooded into ym mind. A little boy and me running aroudn a back yard and splashing in a pool, my mum and another woman; my godmother, sitting on a deck talking. I nodded. "Well She and her son Marcus have just moved down here, tomorrow i was going to go have lunch to welcome her and catch up. Would you like to come tomorrow and we can ask her if you can stay with them until you finish high school?" i stopped. I thought about it for a second. Why are you thinking about this? I chided myself. "YES!" i said loudly. "Ok" my mum said. "I'll tell her you're coming".