Chapter 20

The day of Clara's funeral it rains. There is no sun. There is no light. The sky is practically black.

Mason stands next to me the whole time. I'm the only Selected that was asked to come, and Celine apparently envies me for it. Probably because Alexander and Mason came and asked me personally. I don't see her problem- how could I be competition?

Mason has been spending time with me and Aquia the most. I can tell that he really likes her, and she's always talking about him to me. Mason and I have kissed a few other times, but- this must sound terrible- I can only ever really think of Alexander.

Every time I see Alexander, he's with Blossom or Celine. He and I haven't spoken since the day Clara died. Sometimes I'll catch him looking at me during breakfast, or I'll be reading in the library and when I look up, he's there, pulling a book off of a shelf and flipping through the pages.

After the funeral is over, Mason walks me back to my room. He says goodbye and moves to leave, but I grab his arm. "Please. Stay with me." He gives me a sad smile and wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to him. He presses his lips against the skin between my eyes.

"Of course."

I open the door and pull him into my room. I feel a little guilty- Aquia obviously likes him a lot. But it's kind of hard to avoid Mason.

I lay down on my bed, and I pull him down next to me. "How long do you want me to stay?"

I smile. "Until I go to sleep."

"I think I can do that."

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

A knock on my door wakes me up. Mason is gone, and judging by how cold I am, he has been for a while. The knocking gets louder. "Cassiana!"

I get up and open the door. Aquia hurries in and shuts the door. "You know I like Mason!" She snaps.

"Aquia." I say.

"You know! And you still-you just-"

My eyes widen. I grab her wrists. "Aquia!"

"What?" She immediately calms down, her voice getting higher and innocent, like it does when she's curious or intrigued. It's freaky how she does that. 

"I didn't sleep with Mason, okay? He just stayed with me until I fell asleep, I swear."

She sighs in relief. "But wait- you two kissed."

"Have you two?"

"Well yes, but-"

"Ah. No buts. You two kissed, so what does it matter if he kissed me?"

"You're my friend. A-and I have absolutely no chance if he likes you, and-"

"Okay, now you're just being absolutely ridiculous." I roll my eyes. "He likes you, Aquia. If you want, I can tell him to stop trying with me and focus on you."

"Cassiana, I don't want to ruin your-"

"Chances? Aquia, I'm not going to be queen. They're going to pick the Elite soon, and I'll probably be going home."

"I doubt that."

"You shouldn't." I say. "Alexander has no interest in me anymore. Mason is in love with you- and if you say that he loves me I will smack you."

She giggles. "Okay, but Alexander does like you. He always looks at you."

"He looks at everyone."

"Yes, but he kissed you first."

I feel my cheeks warm. "And?"

"Don't be stupid. Just go talk to him."

"But I have no idea-"

"Mason's in the library. Maybe you should start there."

I hug her. "You're a great friend, but I really want to kick you."

She laughs. "Many people do. Now let's go get your prince." We leave and take off down the hall for the library.