Chapter 12

The king briefly mentions the attack on the palace, and how it failed. Several announcements follow, but they're just the usual propaganda bullshit- you know, "Don't forget to vote for this", and such. Some announcements had to do with the rebels, like a building remodeling in one providence being cancelled due to a rebel "attack" and a cornfield being burned in another.

Before I know it, Silon is strutting across the stage in his usual...glittery attire.

"Good evening, everyone. This evening I would like to share something special. The Selection has been going on for a week!" People cheer. "Ten girls have gone home, but there are still twenty-five beautiful ladies left for our princes to choose from. Starting next week, most of the Illéa Capital Report will be mostly dedicated to this event and this time next week, you'll be learning all about our lovely Selected."

The crowd cheers more. My stomach tightens into knots. Sitting and being eye candy? Not too hard. Getting people to like me? I'm screwed. I'm not a people person. Right now my mother is cursing every higher power she can think of, I bet.

"But right now, we need to get to know the princes! How are you two tonight?" Silon crosses the stage to meet them. Alexander seems to have expected this, but Mason seems downright flabbergasted.

"I'm well. Alexander is just as moody as ever though." Everyone laughs, and Alexander narrows his eyes.

"And you, Prince Alexander?"

Alexander shrugs. "Little tired, but I'm fine."

"How are you two enjoying the company?" Clara covers her mouth with her hand to smother a giggle. "I see that laugh, Princess Clara."

"It's wonderful to have so many people around," Mason says, "since we usually only meet political figures. It's nice to be able to talk about other things." Silon turns to Alexander.

"It's a little hectic, truthfully." Alexander admits. "I've never seen so many girls before at once. It's a bit unnerving."

Silon laughs. "Are they all as sweet and gentle as they seem?"

"Sweet? Definitely." Mason nods. He turns to his brother to finish.

"Gentle? Most of them." Alexander agrees.

"Most?" Silon turns to us and puts a hand on his hip. "Alright ladies, who here has been harassing our dear princes?"

All of the other girls giggle.

"Oh, no harassment has happened...yet. I am actually expecting it from someone though." Alexander leans back a bit and gives me a look. I narrow my eyes jokingly.

Silon doesn't miss this exchange. "Oh, so our Lady Cassiana has been giving you trouble?"

Mason laughs outright at this. "Her? No. Not at all. Darling Cassiana over there has been absolutely wonderful."

I turn my narrowed eyes on him. He grins. His sarcasm isn't lost on me.

"Not Lady Cassiana? Well then who? Is she still with us?"

Alexander and Mason exchange a look.

"Oh, she's still with us." Mason nods. He looks at Alexander, who's eyes scan the crowd of us girls. Is it my imagination, or do they linger on me for a moment longer?

"I think that if my brother and I are thinking of the same girl, then we both plan on keeping her around for a while."

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I decide that I can just let my maids off tonight, since it's not a big deal to get me out of the dress. "Do you need help, miss?"

"No, no. I'm fine. You girls go and get some sleep. You deserve a rest after working so hard on this lovely dress. Thank you, though." They leave without argument, but they do so slowly. I pick up a silver-plated brush and brush out my hair, watching the dark waves in the floor-length mirror.