Chapter 3

A/N: You won't know much about what Mason, Alexander, or Clara are thinking from now on. That was just to give you a look at them before everything.

The next day, Tiffany and my mother accompany me to Services Office. The line is huge, and we wait in line for two hours before I finally get in.

When I do, they sit me on a stool. I brush my hair over one shoulder; tilt my chin up a little. I sit straight up, and try to smile a little, but it's hard to force a genuine smile, so I think I end up looking quite expressionless. Maybe my eyes have more depth. Maybe my paper will be enough.

They take three. After that, I can go home. Well, to Tiffany's house, anyway. They want us to stay with them until they release all of the chosen girls, so that if I am chosen, we'll know immediately and can answer the phone. I'm not sure that I want to get chosen—the money would be great, sure. And meeting the princess would be nice. But I don't think I'll fit in. I'm not used to a life where I'm the one being served.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Markus has a Six make us popcorn for the Capital Report. I take a small handful, sucking on the buttery kernels. I pace myself, waiting until one is gone to eat the next.

I'm through my first handful and halfway through my second when the Report comes on.

The king gives a short update about an impending war with France—I doubt it'll actually happen, since the princess is set to marry one of their princes—and the other announcements fly quickly. My hand shakes.

The Master of Events—finally! —comes on and introduces Silon Fadre.

"Good evening, Your Majesty." He says to the king, bowing as he does. "How are you?"

"Wonderful, Silon. And you?"

"Great. Looking forward to who is going to be chosen?"

The thirteen-year-old princess, Clara, is practically bouncing up and down in her seat. The king smiles. "Well of course. I was there when some were chosen. All very beautiful girls." I know that it wasn't just some—the king probably picked all of the girls.

"So you know who they are?"

The king gives a small shrug. "One or two."

Silon turns to the princes. Alexander sits taller than Mason in his seat, his blue eyes darker thanks to the lighting. His blonde hair shines. Next to him, Mason's brown eyes look from his brother to Silon, but they seem lighter. "Did he slip up and tell you two anything?" Silon asks. He pretends to hide his mouth behind his hand. "Because if he did, I won't tell."

The audience laughs, and so do Tiffany and Markus.

"Not a bit. Even Clara didn't reveal anything, the little chatterbox." Mason grumbles. People laugh.

This Selection is strange—two princes, but still only thirty-five girls. Tiffany leans over to me. "Alexander's role in this is more symbolic," she whispers. "He actually doesn't want to take a wife. He'll go on dates and mingle with the girls, but this is really Mason's Selection."

"How do you know that?" I whisper back.

She smiles. "My father is one of the king's advisors. He told me."

"Do they know?" I look towards the screen.

Tiffany shrugs. "I'm sure Alexander knows. I don't know about Mason."

I turn back to the screen in time to see Clara put her hands on her hips and lean forward, crossing her eyes and sticking her tongue out at her brother. There's more laugher.

The queen smiles at her children. Silon turns to her. "Do you have any advice for our Selected, mi'lady?"

The queen smiles. "My sons will accept you for who you are—allow me to say that immediately. So if you try to change who you are to impress them, it will have the opposite effect. And enjoy your last night as a normal human. Whether you are chosen by my sons or not, the spotlight will stay on you for many years to come. I suggest you remember that." She says. "Also, try not to be calm about this. It can get overwhelming, but your every action will be judged from now on. When the cameras aren't around and you're alone, it's all right to panic and be overwhelmed but if you are, don't let anyone see it."

Silon nods. "Very nice advice. Very nice." He grins. "And now, I believe it's time to reveal the thirty-five young women who will make up the Selected. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the Selected!"

The screen changes to the national emblem. They keep a small box with the princes' faces, so the audience can see their reactions. Mason leans forward, excitement glittering in his eyes but Alexander leans back, running his thumb over his lower lip.

Silon holds some cards in his hands, prepared to read the names of the Selected. My heart pounds against my chest. I swipe my hands off on my borrowed leggings.

"Miss Karia Sylan of Hansport, Four." A pretty girl with dark skin appears. The princes glance at each other, but to their credit, give no reaction.

Next is a girl from Waverly, with red hair and green eyes. Then are Honduragua, Carolina, and so on.

Finally they got to Kent. I cross my fingers behind my back so that no one sees it. "And our Selected from Kent," I squeeze my eyes shut and tighten my fingers. "Miss Cassiana Lowes, Eight."

I don't get to see the princes' expressions, though I doubt they are happy.

The phone starts to ring.

My mother jumps up and answers it.