Chapter 12

Clary

Falling to my knees, I cried out. He doesn't want me anymore.

Of course he wouldn't want you. You're carrying his enemy's child. The man he hates is having a child with the love of his life.

I slowly pull my knees up to my chest and sob. I look around and see the empty room, still looking new. Not lived in, just new. It was then that I decided to make that decision. I needed to do it because it would be the only way.

I found the letter opener and sighed. Looking to the letters littering the floor, I raised the letter opener.

Then I slammed it back down... Into my body.

Jace

"What did you do?"

"I simply gave her the letters that you wanted to give her. You should be happy. I helped you out, little brother."

"You don't understand! She was never meant to receive them! What have you done? What the f*ck have you done?" I shouted out of pure anger.

Running at him, I punched him then attempted to take him to the ground. Sebastian knew this was coming and quickly reared into the door. My breath was knocked from me. He turned and started pounding his fists into my body. Anywhere he could hit, he hit. Never once did he miss.

"You b*stard," I spit out. Blood started pouring out of my mouth. I started coughing and out it came.

Then my world turned black.

Sebastian

Walking down the hall, I grinned. "Amatis!"

"Sir?"

"Bring me a towel."

Seconds later, she came to me with a towel. I swiped it from her and started cleaning off my knuckles. I looked down and saw more blood on my clothes. "Bring me another set of clothes."

"Yes sir."

I continued to the throne room, knowing that she would look there first.

Then I heard it.

"You little b*tch! What have you done?"

Spinning from the room, I sprinted down the hall towards my bedroom.

Immediately, I sense that something is very wrong. Pushing past Amatis, I look in the room. There, on the ground next to the bed, is Clary covered in blood. In her hand is a letter opener, the one I sent along with the letters.

My heart speeds up and I drop to the floor next to her. I push my fingers into the crevice of her neck where I know the pulse would be found. Instead, there is nothing. No beating, no breath, no sound. Nothing.

"Get out," I growl to Amatis.

"Sir..."

"I said get out! Get the f*ck out! Get out."

I look towards Clary's face and see, for the first time since being here, peace. She's at peace.