Chapter 29

For some reason, all Violet could hear was the echoing of gun shots, bullets hitting glass, unremourseful laughs. She was sitting on a hospital bed occupied by only her, and still, she couldn't get those sounds out of her mind. She should be hearing the hospital staff bustling around and phones ringing, but she was lost in her little own world where she couldn't seem to escape. When the doctor entered the room she was in, those sounds faded away. But as he started talking to her, she heard nothing. She stared blankly at him, as if she was deaf.

She dropped her head and noticed the doctor setting his clipboard down, trying to grab her attention, but it was no use. She felt hopeless. She wanted to see Justin for herself, not some doctor explaining what was wrong with him. She enjoyed the silence her body allowed her to experience, but quickly became unnerved when her hearing was coming back and she heard the doctor's worried voice.

"Violet? Can you hear me?" Once she looked up at him, she nodded and went to speak, but couldn't get words to come out. The doctor sighed. "You scared me for a moment," he chuckled. Scared? Did he even know what scared felt like? She was sure he didn't. He didn't know what it was like to wonder if someone you love was dead or not. He didn't know what it was like to be in such a situation because surely if he was truly scared, he wouldn't be laughing about it.

"As I was saying, Justin is doing fine on his own right now. We removed the two bullets in his shoulder and the one in his abdomen, stopped the bleeding, and sewed him up. He should be awake within the hour and-"

"Can I see him?" Violet asked, her voice wavering with concern and sadness. She cleared her throat and watched as the doctor's face fell. She knew she wouldn't be able to see him yet.

"I'm afraid not. For now anyway. He's stabilized, but until he wakes up, we won't know for sure. He's in CDU. But we want to make sure he'll wake with no problems." Violet nodded, her heart aching. "Do you mind speaking with the police in the meantime?"

Her head snapped up, and her eyes went wide. Speaking with the police? That was the least of her worries, until now. Would Justin want her to tell the police what happened? What if it just gets him in trouble? She couldn't be responsible for sending him to prison. Either way, they're gonna need a statement. "Can I wait until he wakes up?"

The doctor eyed her for a moment, before shrugging. "I'm sure they can wait. Take your time," he said while making his exit. Violet wanted nothing more than to stretch her arms and legs, but she was in so much pain. There were bandages wrapped around her wounds and she winced as her fingers went to touch the area. She was determined to stand up though. She was going to walk down the damn hall that the CDU was in and take a peek at Justin. Bullet hole in her leg or not, she wasn't waiting any longer.

As she hopped off the hospital bed, she tightly grabbed her arm and limped across the room. This was already a bad idea. A nurse had already come in to tell her that any major movements could cause the wounds to become unstitched and bleed again. She'd completely ignored that part. All she really needed to know was that she was going to be okay and she'd be on her way.

Her staggered walk continued until she opened the door and exposed herself to the busy nurses and doctors. She acted like she wasn't in pain, physically and emotionally. She put on a smile and followed the signs down to the CDU. The glass windows displayed many patients, some being tended to, some asleep, some lying awake. Her eyes searched for Justin until they landed among him. He was sleeping, like the doctor had said. He looked pale. His face was scratched up. He was wearing a hospital gown. He had bandages across his body. He just didn't look himself at all. Violet's eyes stung and she could feel the tears coming.

She whispered incoherent things to herself to calm down, but they didn't help. Nothing she did could stop the horrible breakdown she was about to experience. Her hands were against the glass surface, most likely leaving smudged prints. Quiet sobs left her mouth and she turned away, sliding down the wall. She wanted to cry out loud. She wanted Justin to be okay. She wished this never happened to him.

"Violet?" Someone called down the hall. Her head whipped in the direction it came from and she noticed a few familiar faces. It was Tyler, Dana, and their parents. She quickly wiped away her tears and stood to her feet. She opened her arms for a giant hug from Dana and let out a relieved laugh. Violet set her down and looked at the others.

"Hey Violet, I'm glad you're okay. This is Hailey. She's a really close friend of both me and Justin."

Violet nodded. The parents both looked worried as ever, their puffy eyes giving it away. Hailey properly introduced herself to Violet, and Hailey hoped Violet knew how lucky she was to have Justin. But soon she'll learn that it's the exact opposite.

Tyler knew nothing of Violet being Justin's girlfriend until a few weeks ago. After he met her, he hadn't seen much of her. Sure he heard a lot about her specifically from Justin and Dana, but that's about it. On the other hand, she's never met Hailey. She remembered Justin talking about her when he was drunk. She had an odd feeling about her, but she let it pass.

Tyler's parents had taken Dana down to the food court and away from much of the drama, while Tyler and Hailey stayed back and talked with Violet. He was determined to know what happened.

"I-I was at Justin's house and we were sitting on the couch in the living room, when these guys drove by and started shooting at the house, a-and I think they drove away . . . I don't know, but I was shot, Justin was shot. I don't even remember being shot in the leg! I was so--" She was interrupted by a cry leaving her throat, and Tyler gently grabbed her shoulder and consoled her.

"You're okay, calm down. I get that you were scared, but did you by chance actually see who the guys were?"

Violet frantically shook her head and swallowed hard. "No. Neither of us saw them, it was totally unexpected. We just heard gunshots and Justin threw me down. He protected me . . . God, he got hurt protecting me. He could have died. That idiot!" Tyler snickered to himself, knowing how well of an idiot Justin truly was.

"Okay," Tyler murmured, pulling her in for a hug as she sobbed. If Justin really liked this girl, she must be special and Tyler was going to make sure she was alright. He looked down over her shoulder and noticed her leg's bandage soaking with blood. "Shit, Violet you're bleeding."

"What?" She asked in disbelief, looking down at her leg.

"Hailey, go get some napkins," Tyler ordered. Hailey rushed down the end of the hallway to a paper towel dispenser and ripped away a whole bunch of them. She brought them back to Tyler and he removed Violet's bandage, clamping his hands around her calf to stop the bleeding. "Seems like your boyfriend isn't the only idiot. Sit down." Violet complied and sat in her own dismay, as he waved down a nurse to come and rewrap Violet's wound. When she was finished and had left, Tyler scowled at Violet. "You need to stay off that leg and don't move that arm, if you want to be able to see Justin as soon as he wakes up."

"He's already awake," Hailey whispered from behind them, her eyes glued to the glass window that separated them.

-

I lost some readers because I wasn't uploading chapters for a while, but I'm hoping to gain them back! :-)

130 votes & 50 comments for chapter 30 please!